Things to do in Luxor
- Walk from the Valley of the Queens across the desert and over the cliffs to the Valley of the Kings
- Hire a bike and ride around Ancient Thebes - takes you less than 15 minutes to get there.
- A local felucca ride just before sunset; shouldn't cost you more than about LE 30 (for one person) per hour.
- Take a felucca cruise on the Nile for a 2 day trip to Aswan (the reverse trip is recommended, however, due to river currents).
- Hire a donkey, horse, or camel to ride around Luxor's West Bank. Go to Pharaoh's Stables, just a short walk from the ferry terminal. They will take you to places where the big coaches can't go, so you can enjoy the real Egypt, with its friendly people and relaxed lifestyle. Every day is different when you see the West Bank by horse or donkey and the guides will look after you all the way. They have horses for beginners to experienced riders. The Sunset ride and Nile ride is a must do. www.pharaohstables.com call them on 010 6324961
- Go for a swim in a hotel’s pool after a dusty day of tombs and temples:
- Iberotel: 75E£
- Sonesta: 50E£
- The one right next to St. Joseph: 25E£
- Magic Horizon Balloons, Badr Street, off TV St, , e-mail: [email protected]. Flight starts before dawn: MH staff picks passengers up at their hotel or cruise boat, ferry them across the Nile by Felucca boat (tea/coffee & cakes provided on the boat) and drive them to the take-off point. Guests glide up from the West Bank in an balloon and float over Luxor enjoying a view of all the important landmarks of the West Bank. A unique way to visit the ancient land of the Pharaohs. Each flight lasts at least 40 minutes, weather permitting.
Egypt - Travel guide