Food & Restaurants in Kabul
The thousands of foreigners in the city since the fall of the Taliban has gradually turned Kabul into something of a restaurant Mecca. Restaurants can crudely be split into "places for locals" and "places for expats", with the latter having higher security, higher prices, but not necessarily higher quality. Restaurants that are UN-approved are particularly expensive. If you are looking for a place with a good mix of Afghans and expat diners the (dry) Lebanese, Turkish and Iranian restaurants are the ones to head towards.
Restaurants open and close with surprising frequency, so it is a good idea to check whether a place is still operating before heading out.
- Afghan Fried Chicken, clean Western-style fast food restaurant.
- Cafe, in the basement of Kabul City Center, Share-e Naw. Burger and banana drink for less than USD3.
- Everest Pizza, 13 St Wazir Akbar Khan, . , 9AM-9PM. Fast food, English menu. Phone orders/ home delivery available.
- Kabul Fried Chicken, clean Western-style fast food restaurant.
- Peshawar Kebab Shop (Shash Darak). 11:00-18:00. A great local place for a tasty lunch. They only serve one type of food; Pakistani style flat chapli kebabs, but they do it well and cost only AFN100 or so.
- Shar-e-now Burgers (Shar-e-now, opposite the Shar-e-now park), . , 10:00-22:00. Fast food, English menu. Phone orders available.
- Street stalls, abound, and good ones can be found around Shahr-e Naw Park and near the Pul-e Khisti bridge in the old town. However, the hygiene is questionable particularly in the summer.
The vast numbers of foreigners in Kabul has lead to the city being perhaps the best place to eat in the region, and in the mid-range bracket there are dozens of good places to eat for USD15-25 per person for an evening meal.
- Afghan International Pizza Express, Darulaman Rd (near Ministry of Commerce and Ariana TV), . Good pizza. Destroyed during the May 2006 riots, but has since been rebuilt and has a new chef.
- Anaar Restaurant & Bar, Crossing of St 14, Lane 3, Wazir Akbar Khan(Between Wazir Akbar Khan circle and Heetal Plaza Hotel, towards end of St 14), , e-mail: [email protected]. 10:00-22:00. UN security clearance. Great Indian and Asian cuisine. English menu, English speaking staff. Phone orders - take-away and delivery available.
- Le Divan Restaurant (frm L'Atmosphere), Str.4, Qala-e- fatullah, . , 10:00-22:00. French cuisine, French and English menu. Phone orders available. Garden dining and swimming pool. Closed on Sundays.
- B’s Place Restaurant (Guest House), Str.2, Qala-e- fatullah House No.3, . , 11:00–23:00. Italian and Mexican cuisine, English menu. Phone orders available.
- Bella Italia (Guest House), Street 14, near the Pakistani Consulate, . open until 22:00. Italian food. Good pizzas and pastas. Expensive mains. Good appetisers. English menu.
- Carlito's Restaurant & Bar, Str 15 Wazir Ak Khan, . , 10:00-22:00. Mexican cuisine, English Menu. No phone orders/home delivery
- Cafe du Pelican, Daraluman Rd (on the west side of the road, look for an orange guard box and Landcruisers parked outside). closes at 17:00. Run by a French couple, good French cafe food with a bakery.
- Chief Burger, Shahre Naw (In front of Park Cinema). 20:00-midnight. This restaurant provides fast food; burger and pizzas.
- Delhi Darbar, Cinema Zainab Rd, Share-e Naw (between the park and Flower St), . Great Indian food including a USD6 thali. Indoor seating is intimate and spread through 3 rooms, or sit outside in the spacious garden.
- Escalades Restaurant, Macroian2, Matba block 104, .10:00–22:00. European cuisine, English menu. No phone hours/home delivery.
- Golden Key, No 284, Lane 4, Wazir Akbar Khan, (4th Turning on the left off St 13), . , 10:00–23:00. Chinese seafood restaurant. Garden dining in the summer, Sheesha, Karaoke and English breakfast on Fridays. Phone orders for take away and home delivery.http://www.goldenkeykabul.com
- The Grill Restaurant, Street 15, Wazir Akbar Khan (on junction near British embassy). Lebanese food in pleasant garden surroundings, mixed clientèle.
- Hong Kong Restaurant, Wazir Akbar Khan (near Pakistani embassy). Good Chinese food.
- Istanbul Restaurant, Macroian2, Matba block 104, . , 08:00–21:00. Excellent Turkish cuisine, English menu. Clean, pleasant and frequented by middle class Afghans - a great place to sample good food and a slice of local Kabul life. Phone orders available.
- Kulba Afghan, Shar-e-now, Esmat Moslim Str. 3rd floor, . ,10:00–21:00. Afghan and Italian cuisine, English menu. No phone orders/home delivery.
- Mai Thai Restaurant, Str15 Wazir Ak Khan House No.124, . ,11:00–21:00. Thai cuisine, English menu and English speaking staff. The reincarnation of 'Lai Thai. Inside is very nice or you can sit outside. Park outside on the dirt road. Good prices.
- Mr Cod, Kabul Tower, Shaheed Abdul Haq Square , Makroyan 3, . British style fish and chips
- New World Korean Restaurant, Charyi Ansari (Shar-e Now), . until 21:00. Now moved to a new location, but the food is still excellent quality. Good selection of Korean dishes, including excellent kimbab (Korean sushi).
- Zadar Croatian Restaurant, Wazir Akbar Khan 13th St, , e-mail: [email protected]. Romantic restaurant and Divan lounge Bar. Catering, take away, provides for parties and ceremonial events.
- Pamir Restaurant, Bagh-e Bala Rd (at the Intercontinental Hotel), . Offers an excellent and cheap buffet.
- Popolano Italian Restaurant, Charahi Ansari, Share-e Naw, . 09:00-22:00. English menu, good pizza and pastas. Phone orders available.
- The Springfield Restaurant & Bar, Wazir Akbar Khan. Pizza and assorted Italian/Western fare, and has a weekly quiz night on Mondays.
- Raven Rae Restaurant (Off Koche Qasabi, first left lane. Located in the Raven Rae Villa compound, 6th building on the right side), , e-mail:[email protected]. 18:30-22:30. Serves grilled meat, seafood, steak, pizza, soups and salads. Serves brunch in the rose garden during the summer months. USD5-25.
- Sufi Afghan Restaurant, near the Intercontinental Hotel.
- Boccaccio Restaurant & Bar, Str 10 Wazir Ak khan (same street as Everest Pizza), . 10:00–22:00. European and Italian cuisine, English menu. No phone orders/home delivery. Expensive, but the food is some of the best in Kabul.
- Café Zarnegar, Froshgah St (In the Kabul Serena Hotel), . 06:30-22:00 daily, brunch 11:00-16:00. Tasty high-end international food and nice atmosphere, one of the nicest restaurants in the city. Their large buffet is probably the best in the country. Mains USD15-20.
- Gandamack Lodge (Sherpur Square, next to the UNHCR). One of Kabul's classiest establishments serving a varied menu in a nice atmosphere. Alcohol is very expensive, even by Afghan standards, but that can be forgiven given the fairly reasonable food prices.
- Raven Restaurant, Shar-E-Naw (Off Butcher St. (Koche Qasabi), take first left lane. Raven Restaurant (and Guesthouse) is the 6th building on the right.), , e-mail: [email protected]sources.com. 18:30-22:30.Grilled meat, seafood, steak and pizza. Vietnamese spring rolls and coffee served in the rose garden around back on F-Sa, 10:00-15:00. Restaurant is closed on Monday. USD5-25.
- Silk Route Restaurant, Froshgah St (In the Kabul Serena Hotel), . 18:00-22:00 daily. Specializes in Southeast Asian food in a luxurious atmosphere. USD15-20.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.