Food & Restaurants in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad is a gastronomic paradise. You will find at least one restaurant in every nook and corner, anywhere in Ahmedabad. Gujarati people are fond of eating and the food generally tends to be on the sweeter side. Gujaratis are mostly vegetarians hence most local fare consists of vegetarian fare. However, with the advent of international and domestic food chains non-vegetarian fare has become popular in recent times. Ahmedabad is famous for its ice-creams because of abundance of dairy products in the state and Gujaratis' penchant for sweets as well. Gujarati specialties include Dhokla, Khandvi, Srikhand, Haandvo, Bhajiya amongst others.
There are lots of Gujarati dining halls where you can get unlimited "thali" meals within $4. A thali consists of variety of concoctions including salads, appetizers, snacks, breads, pulses, vegetable curries and sweets. This is a very unique experience in terms of not only taste and quality but also the way the items are served.
If you have not stayed in India for long, select a food place which is famous and well organized (hotels, big restaurants). Otherwise, its fun to eat at one of the road side stalls, especially at the Khau Galli in Law Garden area and Khan Pan Bazaar in Manekchawk. Various stalls start operating in both these places in the evening and run late in the night. You will enjoy the food like Paani - Puri (Gol Gappa), Indian Chat, Indian Sandwiches, North Indian, Indian-Chinese and some continental cuisines, amazingly at road-side stalls and for a very reasonable price of less than a $1 per item. Recently, SG Road in the western part of city has transformed into an restaurant strip. It has no less than 100 restaurants in a five-mile stretch offering most varieties in all price ranges.
- Amazo Restaurant / Gelateria / Cafeteria (Area: Prahladnagar, St. Xavier's College crossroads, Paldi) Specialized in various vegetarian cuisines, the restaurant has expertise and specializes in serving Italian and Mexican food. From the land of Italy, Amazo brings the inimitable menu that gives your palate the most unique taste and tantalize you with the most heavenly aromas.
- Vishala (Area: Vasna Toll Naka): Best Dish: Thali Meals. This restaurant is a must-visit for any tourist visiting the city. Not only does it serve delectable Gujarati fare, but it is most famous for its village-like decor and an utensils museum. It has several pre-dinner activities like puppet-show for kids, folk music and dance, snake-charmers, etc. Of late, many restaurants have sprouted over the city especially providing a similar experience, but for less than $8, Vishala is truly amazing.
- Tadka Punjabi (Area: Opp. Vastrapur Lake, Vastrapur) Serves authentic Punjabi food specialties like Amritsari Kulcha, Bathure-chhole, stuffed parathas, lassi, etc. If you want to try pure Punjabi taste, give this place a visit.
- Sankalp (Area: CG Road, SG Road) One of the famous institutions of Ahmedabad specializing in South Indian fare. It is in various parts of the city and provides excellent South Indian variety along with other items. It set an Guinness World Record for the "longest dosa (thin-crepe) in the World" (25 feet)
- Havmor (Area: Panchwati, Stadium Circle) Famous for its Chola Bhatura a famous north Indian dish. Some of the novelty ice creams like Raja Rani, Cassata Roll Cut, Tall Beauty, etc. are Havmor's own creations and specialities
- Choice Snacks (Area: CG Road) Excellent Chaat items including Bhel, Indian-style pizza and sandwiches.
- Bardo(Area: C.G Road, Near Choice) Excellent Kathiyawadi Food with good staff and value for money.
- Honest (Area: Panchwati, SG Road, etc.) Another well-known fast-food chain in Ahmedabad that started as road-side joint serving Pav-Bhaji and Pulav in Law Garden area and now a fledging restaurant chain
- Asarfi Kulfi (Area: Panchwati & Law Garden) They only serve dessert. Try any of the Kulfis
- Bhagwati Chat (Area: Panchwati) The best dish by far is the paneer tikka. Try the gulab jamun or jabeli for dessert.
- Oswal (Area: Ashram Road Nr. Statue of Mahatma Gandhi) Snack shop specializing in Gujarati snacks and sweets like Jalebis (sweet-syrup filled pretzels), Fafda (flat chick-pea biscuits served with spicy papaya chutney). Quality can be an issue for unacclimatized tourists hence, insist of fresh Fafda and Jalebis.
- Raipur Bhajia House (Area: Raipur Darwaja) Famous for Bhajias (much better taste & quality than the Astodia Bhajia)
- Cafe Upper Crust (Area: Vijay Char Rasta, Vastrapur) A popular cafe amongst the younger crowd. It serves continental fare including veg/non-vegetarian sizzlers, pastas, sandwiches, etc. The bakery has breads, cakes and desserts that are also worth trying. Look out for their special food festivals.
- Mirch Masala (Area: CG Road, SG Road) Serves North-Indian fare in a typical highway "dhaba" setting. Excellent food but more interesting for its decor.
- King's Food Factory (Area: Panchwati cross road, CG Road) It is new restaurant chain. They serve Indian cuisine as well as some Spanish, Italian, Chinese and American food. Very nice dessert are available in the coffee parlour and there is a possibility to play some scrabble or uno upstairs. It is very clean place, all staff speak English, menu includes description concerning how spicy the given dishes are; wi-fi, A/C and two plazma screens are at restaurant guests' disposal. Perfect place for lunch or to gather for a nice dinner
- ZK(Area: Relief Road). One of the best and oldest non-veg restaurant in the city
- Ras Ranjan (Area: Vijay Char Rasta). Great place for sweets, Bislari Paani Puri, Paneer Tikka w/famous chutney, vaada pav.
- Pudding Great place for veg and non-veg food. Very good Hydrabadi Biryani.
- Das Khaman @ Nehrunagar Mouth watering khaman available.Gujarati snacks are delicious .
Other than these that are several other restaurants that serve excellent food for example (Swati Snacks, House of MG both famous for Gujarati food in chic setting, Bawarchi for Punjabi food, etc.) For western palates, a good way to find new restaurants is to ask a local, especially someone young who would certainly know about such places. International chains like Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Subway are present throughout the city.
For some street food following places are quite famous:
- R. K. Vadapau,Vijay Char Rasta, Vada Pau at its best, it is also known as Anna's Vada Pau
- Karnavati Dabeli,Opp. Hirabhai Tower, Uttam Nagar, Maninagar, Best Kachhi Dabeli
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.