Food & Restaurants in Chennai
Chennai has numerous restaurants, offering an assortment of cuisine. The beach restaurants are well maintained and serve great food during the evenings. The eat outs in Chennai range from budget, midrange and to up-market. There are swanky star quality restaurants, plain open traditional vegetarian or non vegetarian restaurants- where you share a table with strangers, street stalls, tea kadais, fast food centers, western fast food centers, food courts, coffee shops, bakeries to exclusive specialty establishments. Vegetarian restaurants serve tiffin and vegetarian meals. There are also a number of restaurants that serve a variety of Tamil, Andhra and Kerala vegetarian and non-vegetarian fare. Many of these restaurants have nowadays diversified and offer other Indian and Indianized Chinese dishes as well. Usually the check includes a service charge, written next to 'S.C.' If no service charge is added, it is customary to leave a moderate tip.
All these budget eateries serve only vegetarian food and are very cheap.
- Cholayil Sanjeevanam, New No. 97, Old No.45, Nungambakkam High Road in Nungambakkam, . A popular vegetarian "health" restaurant that cooks its foods using ayurvedic principles. The food is truly delicious, and the concept is that they are cooked with low amounts of oil, using healthy ingredients. The chain also features ayurvedic and yogic classes.
- Eat N Drink, 570-N, Anna Salai, Teynampet (next to Courtyard Marriott). South Indian fast food, from masala dosas to uttapam and pongal. Fast, cheap, tasty and hygienic. ₹20-40.
- Geetha Café,. Pondy Bazaar. South Indian tiffin.
- Hot Chips. T.Nagar and Anna Nagar for budget priced South Indian tiffin, including North Indian chat (snack) items.
- Hotel Saravana Bhavan. Probably Chennai's best known restaurant chain, with 25 branches in Chennai itself (incl. one next to Kapaleeswarar Temple). Pure vegetarian Indian food with high standards of hygiene.
- Karpagambal Mess. Mylapore, (opposite the Kapaleeswarar temple). Cheap and authentic South Indian Food.
- Kebab Junction. Royapettah, NV, opp. Express Ave, (near Melody theatre).
- Komalas. Kodambakkam High Rd. South Indian fast food.
- Mansuk's. T.Nagar. Best for Bombay Chat, Lassi and an unlimited Gujarati Thali.
- Palimar. Parsn Complex, Mount Rd, Anna Salai. South Indian cuisine.
- Rathna Cafe. Triplicane. also Thiruvanmiyur, (opposite the RTO). For fluffy hot idlis, hot vadai, delicious pongal dripping in ghee and accompanied by sambhar. Quality maintained for more than 100 years. More expensive than Murugan Idli shop.
- Sangeetha. At intersection of Valluvar Kottam High Rd and Nungambakkam High Rd in Nungambakkam Chain of vegetarian restaurants. A mix of good-quality and tasty South Indian, North Indian, and "Indo-Chinese" cuisine at very reasonable prices. It is a chain restaurant.
- The Spice Box, . Thiruvanmyur. Lunch deliveries and gourmet outdoor catering. Wholesome, innovative lunch-dinner in 6 options is great to try out.
- Sri Krishna Sweets. Mount Rd, Spencers Plaza, Adayar, Anna Salai, also at MG Rd, Shastri Nagar. Indian sweets & salad bar. North Indian "chat" (snack) items.
- Vasantha Bhavan (near Vadapalani Bus stand). Chain of vegetarian restaurants.
- Aiwo (Vegetarian), 7 Rosy Towers, Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam., . Fusion and health foods. A 14-course meal served on a conveyer belt that moves around the room. Various dishes served are supposed to be cooked in olive oil. Healthy tasty food for the health conscious. Table reservations. South Indian ₹199 per meal inclusive of taxes.
- Amaravathi (non-vegetarian), 1 Cathedral Road Gopalpuram, . , Open: 7 days a week. 11:00-23:00. South Indian sea food cuisines and is known for its spicy Andhra food. Their famous Andhra meals, chicken and mutton biryani. Vazahapoo and keerai vadi are a must try. Chilly chicken, chili paneer, momos, soups, burgers, rolls, etc. Punjabi dishes like kadhai chicken, butter chicken, daal makhni, roti, butter naan, paneer butter masala, allu matar etc. Special fish prawns and Amaravathi chicken are the main dishs of the restaurant. Price: Avrg. for 2 persons ₹500. Seating: 135 covers. Valet parking and take away. Table reservations.South Indian
- Amethyst cafe and restaurant, Sundar Mahal, Padmavathi Road, Jeypore Colony, Gopalapuram, . , (resv)Vegetarian.Multi-cuisine. Garden and patio cafe and restaurant with a mix of western (pastas, burgers) and Indian fare. Cuisines served by Amethyst are Coffee and International. It is a nice, cozy, romantic place to chill out on weekends. Their cuisine is nice and so is their interiors. Its a colonial house turned into a restaurant. Table reservations available.
- Amma, 1 Dr. Giri Rd, T Nagar (near Bharathi Raja Hospital), . 11:30-15:30 and 7PM to 10:30PM. Non-vegetarian South Indian. Known for authentic Chettinadu cuisine. Table Reservations (non-vegetarian).Meals for 2 around ₹350.
- Anjappar,:(non-vegetarian South Indian), J.P. Tower, 7/2, Nungambakkam High Rd. Speciality: Anjappar Popular Meals: White Rice, Chettinad Chicken, Mutton Gravy, Fish Gravy, Sambar, Rasam, Kootu, Porial, Keerai, Curd, Buttermilk, Appalam. Also famous for Spl.Mutton Dum Biriyani,Nattu Koli Biriyani and Chettinaad Fish Masala. Price range: Meals for two ₹500. Table Reservations Tele: +91 44 28217200, 2825666, 42144573. - They have other outlets in Chennai: - Anna Nagar: +91 44 26264111 - Chennai Airport-Food Court- Anna International Airport: +91 44 22561793, 2256194 - Near Central Station: +91 44 25382666, 25383334 - Egmore: (+91 44 42134111, 42179222) - Purasaiwalkam: (+91 44 42089188, 26400200) - T'Nagar +91 44 224328444, +91 44 224328555) - Mylapore:, +91 44 224982883, +91 44 224981226) - R.K.Salai: +91 44 228114555, 28114666.
- Annalakshmi, 18/3, Rukmani Lakshmipathy Rd (Marshall Rd), Sigapi Achi Building I Floor, Egmore (Adjacent to Raja Muthaiah & Rani Meyyammai Hall), . Vegetarian. This is a must try expensive South Indian food restaurant. Elegant ambience, friendly service and good food. Filling portions served. Best selling dishes- Elumichai Sevai, Badam-saffron milkshake. Elite crowd. Pricy at ₹1000 for 2 meals. Open: Tuesday to Sunday (Monday weekly holiday) Lunch: 12:00-14:30 PM. Dinner:19.3021:45. Table reservations South Indian
- Anupama Southern Spice, 25, 1st Floor, G.N. Chetty Road, Thyagaraya Nagar, . Non-Vegetarian. Specialty Andhra Cuisine. Table Reservations. South Indian.
- The Cascade, . Quality Inn Sabari, 1. floor, 29 Thirumalai Pillai Rd, T.Nagar,Chinese food
- The Chimney (non-vegetarian), . Liberty Park Hotel 9, 1st Main Road, U.I. Colony, Kodambakkam. Predominantly North-Indian kebabs & Chinese cuisines served. A very pleasant place on the cooler evenings when there's always a gentle breeze. Table reservations. Rooftop Dining
- Curry House, 2, Block AB, 11th Ave, Anna Nagar, . , Open: 12:00-15:00 and 19:00-23:00.. Non-Vegetarian. Multi-cuisine. Chettinad, and Kerala delicacies. Good tandoori fare of the non-veg variety popular among the Punjabi's and found all over Delhi. Table reservations. Meals for two around ₹350..
- Dynasty, 315, Valluvarkottam High Rd, Nungambakkam (Harrisons Hotel), . Non-Vegetarian. Good quality Chinese-Indian cuisine. Reservations available. Chinese food.
- Hotel Coronet, 128, Lattice Bdge Rd, Adyar, . Non-vegetarian. This is one of the oldest restaurants in the area. Very reasonably priced, Coronet is known for its great Mughalai food. Their specialties are the mutton korma with parotha, Ceylon egg parotha, and kheema masala. They also serve Kerala Malabar dishes. Modest ambience. Open: 9AM to Past midnight.
- Madurai Appu, 40, Sarojini Street, T'Nagar, . , South Indian Non-vegetarian Restaurant Chain.Authentic Chettinad cuisine: Known for its Chettinad chicken masala, Chicken and mutton biryani. Table Reservations Tele: +91 44 2432 8484. - Outlets in Chennai:Valasaravakkam:: (+91 44 24861166/24860022) Mugappair: +91 44 226567676, +91 44 226567393) Triplicane: (+91 44 228580786, +91 44 228591515, +91 44 228592929) East Coast Road (ECR- Vettuvankani).Meals for two ₹500.
- Shanghai Annaachi, 9B, 1st Floor, Kakani Tower, New No. 34, Old No. 15, Khader Nawaz Khan Rd, . Chinese food
- Texas Fiesta, # 17/2, Shaffee Mohammed Rd (off Khader Nawaz Khan Rd), . Non-Vegetarian. It is owned and operated by a Tex Mex aficionado who fell in love with this great cuisine while in the USA. Favorite dishes include chicken wings, cream of leeks and potato soup, chicken fajita and grilled tenderloin steak apart from burritos, quesadillas and tortillas. Meal for two would cost about ₹500. Table reservations available. Mexican
- Dhaba Express (non-vegetarian), 9 Cenotaph Rd, .Teynampet, and Nungambakkam High Rd. Cuisines served by Dhaba Express are North Indian. They serve Chicken Tikka Masala, Mutton Rogan Josh, Tandoori Aloo (starter), Naans and Roomali Rotis. Valet Parking. Open: 11:30-15:30, 18:30=01:30. Meals for two ₹500. Table reservations.
- ECR Dhaba, 9/76, Kunnukadu, East Coast Rd (Near Muttukadu Boat House), . Non-vegetarian. Punjabi food. Table reservations. Open: 11:00-23:45.
- Coastline (non-vegetarian), . 118, Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore. South Indian seafood. Freshly done interiors, slow service but delicious food. Crab rasam, prawn or fish biryani. Vide variety of sea food offerings. Must try place. Price range: Meals for two ₹600. Table reservations
- Barbeque Nation (BBQ Nation). Sri Devi Park hotel, T.Nagar and Hotel Bhimaas, Vadapalani Buffet costs ₹800 per person, advance reservation is strongly recommended.
- Eden's. Harrisons Hotel, 315, Valluvarkottam High Road, Nungambakkam. Wonderful Continental cuisine, fully vegetarian.
- Gallopin Gooseberries. Burgers, Sandwiches and Entres. Has two outlets:
- 4/359,Gatsby Village, Mgr Road, +91 44 24493924
- 11, Shop 2, 2nd Floor, Greams Road, Landmark: Near Thousand Lights Police Station Phone: +91 44 28291077, 28292190
- Mount Road, Near Anand Theatre. North Indian.
- Kadalivanam. Mogappair., 100% natural, fully vegetarian restaurant
- Karaikudi, . VeeraRaghava Road, T. Nagar (also at Anna Nagar, Besant Nagar, Mylapore, Thiruvanmiyur) Chettinadu cuisine.
- Mughal's Zaika. Rajaratnam St, Chetpet, Behind Ega Theatre. This is the best place in Chennai for any Kebabs esp their Juicy Irani Kebabs! They also serve the best & authentic Mughlai Biryani.Great value for money. One drawback (or advantage) is its non-a/c, its an Open air restaurant. The price for one meal is around ₹80, or around $2. Mughlai/Persian/Afghani/Irani.
- Murugans Idli Shop. 2 locations: GN Chetty Road T. Nagar and Besant Nagar. Murugan Idli Shop is a chain restaurant, and the GN Chetty Road shop in particular is a well-kept secret among locals as a purveyor of high-quality food; on weekends, there is a long line for entry. The price for one meal is around ₹20-₹40, or around. South Indian.
- Noodle House. A chain restaurant, whoese locations include: 1. Spencers Plaza, Anna Salai (Mount Road) and 2.the Intersection of Sterling Road and Nungambakkam High Road in Nungambakkam. Chinese.
- Once Upon A Pirate..., . A Pirate Theme Restaurant, Besant Nagar Beach Road, Opp Velankanni Church Indian Tandoor Chinese Cuisines.
- Pizzaurant. Velachery Road, Little Mount, Saidapet. Cuisine Pizza & Pasta.(Without MSG) Home delivery for nearby areas, Very Indian.
- Poonamallee, . Breeze Hotel, 850, Poonamallee High Road +91 44 2643 0596. Multicusine
- Ponnusamy. Commander-in-Chief Road (opp Ethiraj College), Egmore. Chettinadu cuisine
- Rangis. Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam. Chinese.
- Sparky's. Located in Egmore, is an "American diner" operated by an American expatriate settled in Chennai. Mexican, Italian and American food. Prices range from 70-150 rps for a meal. Sparky's has been closed since the end of 2012, ever since their head Chef passed on. They are yet to commit on when they will be re-opening the joint.
- Swati and Swayam. At Saravana Bhavan, Peters Road. South Indian.
- Peshwari. Sheraton Chola Hotel, Cathedral Road, Chennai 600 086. The award winning Peshawari is the Indian specialty restaurant with the rugged flavours of the North-West Frontier and the art of tandoori cooking. The food is cooked in clay ovens or tandoor in the traditional style which is viewed through the open kitchen. (5 Star Hotel) Rated Expensive. Table Reservations Tele: +91 44 28110101
- Mainland China, . Hotel Tulip Aruna, 144/145, Sterling Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai.( 4 Star Hotel) The restaurant chain serves authentic cuisine from the major provinces of China. Table Reservations Tele +91 44 39155261, +91 44 39155256
- Shanghai Club, . Hotel Chola Sheraton, 13,Cathedral Road, Chennai 600086. Well known for its most authentic Chinese Cuisine. Live three piece band. (5 Star Hotel) Rated Expensive. Table Reservations
- Shansi Chinese & Tandoori Restaurant. AnnaNagar Indian and Chinese 26213109
- Cafe Mercara, Chola Sharaton Hotel, 13,Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai- 600086, . , Coffee Boutique which serves an amazing array of coffees and tea from around the world- Burgers, pizzas, salads and snacks. (5 Star Hotel) Rated Expensive. Table Reservations.
- Cilantro, 1 GST Rd, . Coffee Shop / Restaurant of Le Royal Méridien,St.Thomas Mount, Chennai-600016. The restaurant serves continental, Indian, South Indian, Italian, Arabic Shawarma’s, Chinese, Thai and a teppenyaki grill of Japanese Cuisine. Open: 24 hrs. Table Reservations Tele +91 44 43534545
- The Residency, . 12:30PM to 2:45PM, 7:30PM to 11:45PM. Park Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Chamiers Road, Alwarpet,Chennai. Lavish buffet and an international a la carte menu. In a gracious setting reminiscent of the Edwardian era. Live music. Table Reservations.
Grill and Indian Cuisine
- Pergola, . The Accord Metropolitan Hotel, 35, G N Chetty Road, T Nagar The highest open to sky restaurant in the city- Featuring Grills/Indian cuisines- Hours of operation 19:00 Hrs- Midnight- Seating capacity 120 covers- Table Reservations Tele 43911000.
- Bella Ciao, . Lounge Beach Garden, #4, Shri Krishna Enclave, Kottivakkam, Chennai- 600041, Italian-owned and run, authentic Italian food. The famous wood fired oven pizza, home made pastas, steaks and salads. Table Reservations
- Little Italy, . Italian Restaurant, Eldorado No 112, Nungambakam High Road, Chennai-600034. Italian classic cuisine with a perfect wine. Chef's favourites: Pizza Mellino, Pasta del Fattore and In Wines- Brunello di Montalcino. Table Reservations Tele 42601230
- Prego, . Taj Coromandel, Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam Gourmet Italian dining, replaced Patio
- Akasaka, 128 L.B. Rd, . Suraj Towers, Ground Floor, Behind Jayanthi Theatre, Thiruvanmiyur. Japanese Chef, The ambeince is Japanese- low seating and all that. Own fishing boat, excellent sushi and sashimi. Very expensive—figure on over ₹1000 for a meal here. Table Reservations Tele 24456493
- Teppan, . 146, TTK Road, Alwarpet, Chennai. Hibachi style, the cook prepares your meal with a show right in front of you. Very entertaining especially for younger diners. Excellent sushi and sashimi. ₹2000 for a meal for two. Table Reservations
- Arirang Korean Restaurant, 91 Main Rd, . Dr Thirumurthy Nagar Nungambakkam, Nungambakkam, Chennai-600034. Table Reservations
Lebanese and Middle Eastern Delicacies
- Cedars, . Wallace Garden Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai- 600085. Dim lit ambience is beautiful with exquisite furnishing in Mediterranean style. They serve the most authentic Lebanese, Middle Eastern delicacies and some interesting Mediterranean cuisines. Table Reservations
- Don Pepes, . 73, Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai. Mexican. Located above Hot Breads as an extension, They are best known for their Fajitas (sizzlers) and Enchiladas (a tortilla wrap with some Mexican rice). Rated Expensive. Open: 12:00 to 2:45PM, 7:00 to 11:45PM. Table Reservations
- Citrus, . Savera Hotels Ltd. 146, Dr. Radhakrishnan Road, Mylapore, Chennai- 600004. Multicuisine- featuring Mediterranean barbeque and Norwegian smoked salmon. Table Reservations
- Cream Centre, . 55, 2nd Main Road, Raja Annamalaipuram, Chennai- 600028.(Near Kaliappa Hospital)Cream Centre offers a wide range of vegetarian food choices- North Indian and Mexican, to American, Italian and even Lebanese.Nachos, Channa Bhatura, American Corn Cheese Ball, Sizzlers & Sizzling Brownie. A specialty here is the Mera Thali, where you have a choice of dishes from which you can make your own thali. Open: 11AM to 3:30PM, 7PM to 11PM (11AM to 11PM on Weekends). Table Reservations Tele +91 44 42815776.
- Entree Restaurant, Located in Emall hotel, Express Avenue Mall, Gate No 1, Pattullous Road, Anna Salai, Chennai 600 002., . , 100 % Vegetarian multicuisine restaurant in chennai. Serve a delectable fare from all around the world - Thai soup, maxican main course, Indian spices tadka, French Pastry for deserts.
- Seasons. The Accord Metropolitan Hotel, 35, G.N. Chetty Road, T Nagar, Chennai- Extensive Buffets featuring cuisines from all over the world- Oriental to Italian, Continental to Indian, and Global A la Carte Open: 24 Hrs. Seating capacity 65 covers- Breakfast buffet 07:00 10:30 Hrs Lunch buffet 12:30 15:00 Hrs Dinner buffet 19:30 23:00 Hrs- Table Reservations Tele: +91 44 28161000, +91 44 43911000
- Copper Chimney, . 74, Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai. (Opposite the Chola Sheraton). Mainly North Indian and Iranian inspired dish. Specialities: Bagani Bahar, Paneer Musselum. Rated expensive. Open: 12:00 to 3PM, 7:00 to 12PM. Table Reservations Tele 28114941
- The Great Kabab Factory, . Radisson G R T Hotel, G.S.T. Road, St Thomas Mount, Chennai, 600016. Specialities: Galoutti Kabab, Tangri and Murgh Malai Kababs, Fish and Mutton Kababs. They serve alcohol and have velat parking. Pricing: Rated expensive. Open: 12PM to 2:45PM, 7PM to 11:45PM, Table Reservations
- 1 GST Rd, . Le Royal Meridien, Le Royal Méridien,St.Thomas Mount, Chennai-600016. India Restaurant serving Royal Indian Cuisine. Live Ghazal performances. A Private dining room is available for up to 12 persons and an intimate bar for pre-dinner drinksRated very Expensive. Open: For Lunch from 12.00 Noon to 3PM & For Dinner from 7.00 to 11:45PM. Table Reservations Tele +91 44 43534545,
- Tandoor, . Quality Inn Aruna Hotel, 4th Floor, 144 & 145, Sterling Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai- 600034. Specialties: North Indian, Punjabi, Tandoori and Mongolian Amenities: Outdoor Seating and Valet Parking. Serve alcohol. Table reservations Tele +91 44 28283636.
- Kayal, . Seafood Restaurant of Le Royal Meridien, 1, G.S.T. Road, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai 600016. Specialities: Coriander Prawn, Seafood Platter, Kadia Lobster, Prawn Biryani. Nice complimentary garlic bread with butter. Rated very Expensive. Open: 7:00 to 11:30PM. Table Reservations Tele +91 44 43534545
- Dakshin, . Park Sheraton Hotel and Towers, 132, T.T.K. Road, Alwarpet, Chennai. South Indian Cuisines- Dakshin offers the 'rare' pleasures of ethnic coastal and regional cuisines. The choicest cuisine of the four Southern states served in a regal setting. Live Carnatic Music. Expensive but excellent food- Starters include traditional,kuli paniyaram. Try the Idi appam or Appam with mutton stew. Desert: Kulfi. Open: 12.30 to 2:45PM, 7.30 to 11:45PM.
- Southern Spice, . Taj Coromandel, Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam
- Benjarong, . 146, TTK Road, Alwarpet, Chennai 600018, The authentic flavor of Thailand. Seating capacity 68 covers. Open: 12:15PM to 2:45PM and 7:15PM to 11:45PM.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.