Sights & Landmarks in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad has several floridly carved historic monuments including the Stepwell at Adalaj and the Rani Mosques (dedicated to Rani Sipri and Rani Rupmati). It is also home to many fine museums and art galleries. Modern office buildings and malls dot the more recently developed areas.
Important places to see include:
- Gandhi Aashram (Sabarmati Ashram), Gandhi Ashram, Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad, Gujarat - 380 027, , fax: .08:00 - 18:99. The Sabarmati Aashram was once the house of Mahatma Gandhi and he founded the ashram in 1915. Today, without doubt, it is the biggest visitor attraction in Ahmedabad. It lies on the tranquil stretch of the Sabarmati river and was referred to as the Satyagraha Ashram during the lifetime of the Mahatma. It was from here that the Mahatma began his famous 'Dandi March' in 1930 to protest against the Salt Tax imposed by the British. One can see the three wise monkeys and many more of Gandhiji's teachings at the ashram premises. The ashram today continues the work started by the Mahatma and houses a handicrafts centre, a handmade paper factory and a spinning wheel factory. There are several other attractions.
- Akshardham Temple, 'Akshardham', Sector 20, 'J' Road, Gandhinagar - 382 020 Gujarat, , fax: . 10:00 to 18:00. Closed on Monday.. One of the biggest religious attractions in Central Gujarat. Located in the twin city of Gandhinagar.
- Bhadra Fort. To add special charm to the varied sights of the city there is the Bhadra Fort, which once housed royal palaces and well-laid gardens. It boasts the temple of Bhadrakali and was built in 1411 during the Maratha rule.
- Calico Museum of Textiles, Sarabhai Foundation, Opposite Shahibagh Underbridge, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380004, , fax: . 10:30 to 12:30, 14:30 to 17:30. Closed on Wednesday.. Has a magnificent collection of rare textiles dating back to the 17th century. There is also an excellent reference library on textiles. Located in the Sarabhai Foundation, in Shahibagh the Calico Museum of Textiles, widely regarded as one of the finest textile museums in the world was constructed in 1949. It has a fines collection of textiles, clothes, furniture, temple artefacts and crafts. Also has a collection of marble, sandstone and bronze icons.
- Dada Hari ni Vav (step well) is in Asarva.
- Darpana Academy of Performing Arts. Is one of the oldest performing arts academies in the city. Its amphitheatre Natarani has a fabulous performance venue overlooking the Sabarmati river, and is one of the few places to bring internationally acclaimed performing artists to the city.
- Hathisingh Jain Temple, Shahibaugh Road, Madhupura, Ahmedabad - 380004 Gujarat. An impressive white structure, the Jain temple built of white marble and elaborately carved is dedicated to Dharmanath - the 15th Jina or Jain Apostle. Similar to all Jain temples, this temple to is rich in intricate carvings displaying, among other things, musicians.
- Heritage Houses of poles, A living heritage, the structures are 200–400 years old and the residents people are old Ahmedabadi families who still follow age old traditions. Souvenir shop offering local crafts. Has an old world in a large house which is like a palace.
- Indian Institute of Management(IIM-A), IIM Ahmedabad, Vastrapur, Ahmedabad - 380015 (Accessible easily from Andhjan Mandal/IIM BRTS bus station, near IIM Cross Roads on 132 ft Inner Ring Road). A Business School of Management housed in an architecturally impressive building.
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness Temple (ISKCON Temple), ISKCON, Satellite Road, Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway Crossing, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India - 380059(Accessible easily by BRTS bus station and AMTS bus stop named 'ISKCON Temple' or 'ISKCON Cross Roads'), , e-mail:[email protected]. 04:30 to 13:00, 16:00 to 21:00. This Hindu temple depicts Krishna, and his lover, Radha, who is regarded as the personification of love.
- Auto World Vintage Car Museum, Dastan Estate, Eastern Sardar Patel AUDA Ring Road, Kathwada, Ahmedabad - 382430, Gujarat, India (The Ring Road encircles the city of Ahmedabad, get onto the eastern part of it), , fax: , e-mail: [email protected]. Shri Pranlal Bhogilal has a converted his private collection of vintage cars into a museum. It has a collection of more than 100 cars including Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Jaguar, Cadillacs, Austin, Chrysler, Lincoln, Ford and many many more. You can drive some of them for ₹500 for a 3.5 km.
- Jama Masjid (Jama Mosque), Jama Masjid, Manek Chowk, Gandhi Road, Khadia, Ahmedabad - 380001. It is amongst the most popular tourist sights in the city. Built of yellow sandstone this mosque stands on 260 pillars which support 15 domes at varying elevations. The mosque was built by Ahmad Shah in 1423. It is easily accessible as it stands in the centre of the old city. This imposing structure reflects the Muslim architecture of that period.
- Jhulta Minara (Shaking Minarets) (Near the central railway station in Kalupur area). Quite an unusual structure, Jhulta Minara or swaying minarets are a part of the mosque of Siddi Bashir and can be moved back and forth by applying a little force at the topmost arch. One of the minarets was partly demolished by an Englishman in his endeavours to unravel the mystery of the swaying minarets. The mosque was built by master craftsmen and the crucial mechanism that leads to the vibration is still a mystery.
- Kankaria Lake, Kankaria Lake, Kankaria, Ahmedabad - 380002(Accessible easily by BRTS bus station 'Kankaria Lake' and AMTS bus stop of the same name). Closed on Monday. A circular lake built in 1451 by Sultan Qutub-ud-Din. In the centre of the lake is an island garden with a summer palace known as Nagina Wadi. It has a beautiful Musical Fountain show, although the music isn't too good the lights and fountain are worth the visit. 'Bal Vatika' - an aquarium, a boat club, a toy train, a natural history museum and a zoo. The lake is closed for visitors on Monday and an Entry charge of ₹10 is charged for visitors. ₹10 (17 cents).
- Kamla Nehru Zoological Garden (Kankaria Zoo), Kankaria Zoo, Kankaria, Ahmedabad - 380002 (Accessible easily by BRTS bus station 'Kankaria Lake' and AMTS bus stop of the same name), , ,fax: , , e-mail:[email protected]. 10:00 to 18:00. Closed on Monday. It is near to Kankaria Lake and one of the best zoos in India.
- L D Institute of Indology, Near Gujarat University, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380009, . Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Institute of Indology was established in Ahmedabad by Muni Shri Punyavijayji and Shri Kasturbhai Lalbhai. The museum houses priceless collection of books, manuscripts and other reference material from ancient India.The museum is a treasure trove of manuscripts relating to Jainism. In all there are about 45,000 printed books with 75,000 manuscripts including out of which 500 are illustrated ones. These documents from the past cover a wide range of subjects like Vedas, Agamas, Buddhism, Tantras, Jain Darshana, System of Indian Philoshy, Jaina Philoshpy, Grammar and Poetics etc.The institute has also published seven volumes of catalogues in Hindi, Sanskrit, Old Gujrati, Prakrit and Rajasthani. The institute also conducts periodical workshops on manuscriptology and palaeography.
- Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum (L D Museum/N C Mehta Gallery), Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum, Nr. Gujarat University, Navarangpura, Ahmedabad - 380009 (Accessible by 'L D Engineering College' BRTS bus station and 'St. Xavier's College' AMTS bus stop), , e-mail:[email protected]. One of the best art museum in the city. It has a wide collection of Indian miniature paintings, stone sculptures, terracotta, paintings of Tagore, art of Nepal and Tibet, bronzes, textiles, wood work, cloth paintings, metal sculptures, coins.
- Law Garden (Accessible by 'Law College' AMTS bus stop). Considered the main centre of activity in Ahmedabad, one can purchase handicrafts and traditional Gujarati outfits, amongst other things
- National Institute of Design (NID Ahmedabad), National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad - 380007, , , fax: , e-mail: [email protected]. A design institute with over 16 disciplines of Design. Located in Paldi in West Zone.
- Parimal Garden, C G Road, Panchavati Society, Gulbai Tekra, Ahmedabad - 380006. A public park with nice green surroundings. A good place to jog and relax.
- Sabarmati Riverfront, panning across the city on both the banks of the Sabarmati River, is a refreshing place in the mornings; a very relaxing atmosphere in the evening. A must-visit place. It can be accessed by a narrow road on the right, a few metres ahead from the point where Subhash Bridge ends on the Shahibaug side. Also a road to the left, just a little ahead of Income Tax on Ashram Rd (from RTO side), leads to the Riverfront on the opposite bank to that of the Subhash Bridge one.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Memorial, Balvantrai Mehta Road, Shahibagh, Ahmedabad - 380004 (Accessible by 'Circuit House' AMTS bus stop, it's located on the Airport Road), toll-free: . 09:00 to 18:00, except Sunday. It is a memorial and museum dedicated to the National Activist and first Home Minister of independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The Museum is located opposite to the Circuit House in the The Moti Shahi Mahal Complex in Shahibaug.
- Sardar Patel Gujarat Cricket Stadium (Motera Stadium), Motera Stadium Road, Motera-Sabarmati, Ahmedabad - 380005 (Accessible by 'Sabarmati Police Station' & 'Motera Cross Road' BRTS station and 'Gujarat Stadium' AMTS bus stop). Sardar Patel Gujarat Cricket Stadium is an international cricket stadium. Watching Team India play here is a wonderful sight as thousands of fans cheer for them.
- Sarkhej Roza, Makarba, Post Jeevraj Park, Ahmedabad - 380051(Accessible by S G Highway), , e-mail:[email protected]. Known for its architectural complexes.
- Gujarat Science City, Gujarat Science City, Science City Road, Ahmedabad - 380 060 (Accessible by Western Sardar Patel AUDA Ring Road, Sola Cross Roads on S G Highway. Accessible by 'Science City Approach' BRTS bus station and 'Science City' AMTS bus stop), , e-mail: [email protected]. The Government of Gujarat has established the Gujarat Council of Science City, a registered society, to achieve the Gujarat Science City mandate. Further expansion of Science City & related projects is planned.
- Seva Cafe Seva Cafe is a Gift Economy restaurant, serving meals made by volunteers. The meals are offered as gifts to the guests who are asked to ‘Pay Forward’ as a chain of kindness. The guests and volunteers of Seva Cafe have continued this chain for the last 7 years, and date have provided more than 85,000 meals.
- Sidi Sayed Mosque is unique for its exquisite screens. The screen carved out of one rock is exceptional.
- Swaminarayan Gurukul, It is a residential and day boarding school run by the Swaminarayan faith of Hinduism. It teaches not only formal education but also provides training in horse-riding, archery, dairy development, .
- S. G. Highway, or Sarkhej - Gandhinagar Highway, the recently developed into a hub of entertainment in Ahmedabad. The same road leads to Gandhinagar as well, where there is Akshardham temple and other places of interest.
- Teen Darwaja (Three Gates) Located south of Shahpur near Lal Darwaja. It is composed of 3 arched entrances was built by Sultan Ahmed Shah to serve as a royal entrance to Maidan Shahi. Mughal emperor Jehangir and his wife Nur Jahan used to watch the Tazia procession of Mahuram from over these gates.
- Vaishnodevi Temple, Replica of famous Vaishnodevi temple located at Sola Gandhinagar Highway.
- Vastrapur Lake. Newly constructed artificial lake.
- Veechar Utensil Museum, an odd museum with over 3,000 old, traditional household items. It is based on one man' personal collection. The lack of signs or explanation limits the understanding, and for many the interest, for visitors. The museum is a part of the Vishalla restaurant which serves ethnic Gujarati food.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.