Food & Restaurants in Bandung
Bandung is a heaven for food lovers who enjoy new experiences. There are a lot of varieties, not only local cuisine but international ones. You can find any food you want for any kind of taste. Do note, that most eateries in Bandung focus on creating new variations, not making sure it tastes good.
Everybody has their own favourites. One page is not enough to list all food stalls, food courts, restaurants and cafes in Bandung. Here are some lists that are popular or have a long history.
- Bakso Tahu / Siomay is a steamed meat with or without tofu. It is served with peanut paste, sweet soy sauce and a lime. It is suitable for a snack to eat at anytime. In almost all streets you can find somebody selling this food with a wheeled stall (gerobak). The popular place is called Siomay Pak Lili at Jl. Geger Kalong Girang that has sold this food for 15 years.
- Batagor is similar to bakso tahu/siomay but it is fried instead of being steamed. It is served similar with peanut paste and sweet soy sauce. Served also as a snack. Legends are Kingsley at Jl. Veteran, selling this food already for 28 years, Batagor Riri at Jl. Burangrang 41 (in front of the BCA building),Batagor Haji Isan at Jl. Bojongloa, Batagor Haji Darto at Pasar Simpang Dago, and Dailycious Batagor at the Summit Factory Outlet JL. RE. Martadinata (Riau) 61.
- Basreng is a spicy snack made from fried meatballs, with the addition of the spicy and savory seasonings suitable for you. You can also buy it from online on Ruang Jualan.
- Martabak is a fried stuffed pancake. There are two types: sweet and savory. Sweet martabak is a thick pancake stuffed with chocolate/cheese/banana/sugar. The savory martabak is a thin fried pancake stuffed with eggs, some vegetables, mushrooms, chicken/beef and one filled with sweet corn and cheese. The most popular ones are Martabak Lodayaand Martabak San Francisco at Jl. Lodaya. Another recommended place isMartabak Andir at Jl. Jendral Sudirman, near the Andir wet market. One more best martabak which should not be forgotten is Martabak Canada at Jl. Kebon Kawung near the Pertamina outlet.
- Soto Bandung is a soup with beef meat, soy beans and some vegetables. The old food stalls selling this food is at Soto Ojolali, Jl. Cibadak (near alun-alun), since 1940s.
- Lotek is a mixed boiled vegetables, served with peanut paste and some chillies, similar to gado gado. The hotter the better. The famous place is Lotek Kalipah Apo, Jl. Kalipah Apo, every day 9AM-16PM. Have been selling this food for already 48 years. One plate is around Rp 4,500.
- Mie Kocok is a noodle soup, served with beef foot, beef skin and tauge or mung bean sprout. If you don't fancy with these parts of beef, then you can ask not to have it and you can still taste its appetite. The famous place is a street vendor, Mie Kocok SKM, at Jl. Sunda.
- Mie Ayam is a noodle soup served with chicken and it comes with a variety of toppings. The famous place is at Mie Naripan in Jl. Naripan, they serve varieties of good noodles there. Another good place is at Bakmi Mangkok Masin Jl. Setiabudhi.
- Nasi Timbel is the famous Sundanese dish. It is a tube-shaped rice that has a distinguish flavour, because it is cooked inside a banana leaf. It is usually served with lalapan (raw vegetables), fried tofu & tempe, fried chicken and chili paste. You can find this type of dish in most of Sundanese restaurants. The well-known timbel food stall is located nearby Istiqomah mosque. Another good place is at Nasi Timbel Dago at Jl. Dago for around Rp 20,000.
- Laksa Bandung is the famous old traditional dish. This dish is kind of chicken soup using coconut milk with turmeric for the stock, and in side it contains sliced rice cake (cooked inside a banana leaf), bean sprout, vermicelli, shredded chicken and for the finishing is garnished with holly basil and Oncom Bandung the traditional fermented soy bean cake. The well-known laksa vendor is located at the junction of Jl. Pungkur and Lengkong Pondok Laksa is very appetising and one plate costs around Rp 7,000
- Sate Kardjan, Jl. Pasirkaliki, open 24 hr daily . Lamb satay speciality, since 1970. Try sate buntel (a grilled minced lamb meat), tongseng (lamb meat in a coconut milk soup), nasi goreng kambing (fried rice with lamb) or sate cempe (satay from 10 month old lamb). We visited this place after much trouble to find it, and found that the sate is average and the ambience wanting. Not worth the trip to find this place.
- Bakmi Naripan, Jl. Naripan 108 (around the corner of Jl. Sunda and Jl. Naripan), . An Indonesian Chinese noodle establishment since 1960's.
- Bubur Ayam Mang Oyo, Jl. Sulanjana (near Gasibu) and several branches. It's a chicken porridge. Nice for starting your day.
- Kedai Ma' Uneh, Jl. Terasana I No. 132 Pajajaran. It's in an alley in front of Pajajaran sport complex. Delicious Sundanese food.
- Baso Lela, Jl. Awiligar, everyday open until 9PM. On the a hill side with a nice view to the city. Try yamien, a dried boiled noodle, mixed with soy sauce. There are sweet yamien and salt yamien. Try also chicken noodle and the strawberry juice as a dessert.
- Santosa, Jl. Aceh, everyday open from 5PM-9:30PM. A hawker with open air eating. Open since the 1960s. Try the fried kway teow/noodle/rice. They use a special wok to enhance the taste. Located opposite of the municipal office, near KONI Jabar dorm.
- Waroeng Boentoet, Jl. Anggrek No. 48, Bandung (near Jl. RE Martadinata/Riau). It is the only restaurant in Bandung that specialized in a traditional heritage of delicious oxtail soup with the legendary taste sensation of the essence of spices. The Waroeng is decorated in a nice and simple vintage theme, with a very good service and affordable price that will provide its customers a high level of dine in satisfaction. Try some of its specialties like oxtail soup, oxtail teriyaki, oxtail barbeque, oxtail black pepper, oxtail chili penyet, fruits salad, black sticky rice milkshake, vegetable-fruit juice, and purple yam juice. This place is a must. Easy to find and good prices for excellent food.
For those who want a breathtaking view, eat in a local Sundanese village or have romantic international cuisine. Don't expect the taste to be half as good as the view and experience though.
- Kampung Daun, Jl Sersan Bajuri Km 4.7 No 88 Villa Trinity Complex (you need to drive there with your own car ). Sundanese food. You eat at a hut in the middle of valley (no padi fields) near a small waterfall and river. At night it's really amazing to walk along candlelit pathways. Eating out really means eating out here. The atmosphere here is enchanting and magical. Lots of trees, bushes and secluded "pondok" small huts for relaxing and food, cool as it is set in a valley with the sound of running water from the waterfall beside you. Food prices are higher than in Bandung or even other high end restaurants cause you need to cover the cost of the use of the huts.
- fashion pasta: Italian Style Living Restaurant, Jl Resor Dago Pakar No 18 A ( International place for lunch and dining . Try all original the best Italian food, from Antipasti, Pizza, Salad, Soup, Pasta, Main Course, Dessert ). ph +62 22 2516101/ +62 22 72221014
- Sierra Cafe & Lounge, Jl. Bukit Pakar no 33. Located on the hill of Dago Pakar in Bandung, Sierra delivers a relaxing and indulging ambience with a breathtaking view of Bandung's city lights. International cuisines include Western, Japanese and Thai).
- N Cafe, Jl. Sutra Duta Kencana II/11. Balinese & European cuisines, with great scenery, try the balinese fried duck.
- Kedai Nyonya Rumah, Jl. Naripan 92 and Jl. Trunojoyo 29, serve Indonesian cuisine.
- Tizis Restaurant, Jl. Kidang Pananjung 3. European dishes with homemade bread and pastries.
- Atmosphere Cafe, Jl. Lengkong Besar No. 97, .
- The Peak Resort Dining, Komplek Girandah Desa Karyawangi, Ciwaruga, Parongpong, .
- The Stone Cafe, Jl. Rancakendal Luhur No.5 (Gerbang Dago Resort), Dago Atas, .
- The Valley Bistro, Jl. Lembah Pakar Timur No. 28 (Dago), .
- The View Restaurant, Jl Resort Dago Pakar Raya No. 28, , fax: .
Sunda is the ethnic name of the local people living in West Java. Sundanese food has some distinctive features. It mainly consists of fried fish, pepes ikan (steamed fish in a banana leaf), raw vegetables and chili pastes. To try these type of foods there are numerous Sundanese restaurants. Some of the popular ones have several branches in Bandung.
- Dago Panyawangan, Jl. Ir. H. Juanda No 137, Cibeunying, .
- Sindang Reret, Jl. Surapati No. 53, +62 22 2501474. Another branch is outside the city in the north at Jl. Raya Cikole Km.22 Lembang, +62 22 2786500. The better one is the branch restaurant .
- Ponyo, Jl. Malabar 60, . There are many branches outside the city.
- AA Laksana, Jl. Soekarno Hatta 494, . There are 2 other branches at Jl. Jakarta 21 and Jl. Cihampelas 30. A big self-service eatery with long tables already filled with plates of food. Take what you want and ask the server to count the plates when finished.
- Ampera, The famous Sundanese restaurant in Bandung with cheap price and lot of branch. Jl. Sukarno Hatta (Cigereleng), Jl. Sukarno Hatta (Sanggar Hurip), Jl. Sukarno Hatta (Metro), Jl. Pajajaran, Jl. Pungkur, Jl. Dewi Sartika (Kebon Kalapa), Jl. Taman Citarum, Kepatihan Plaza and Jl. Raya Lembang. When we ate at Ampera on Angerrek, food was cold and tasteless.
- Saung Kabayan, Jl. Dr. Djunjunan.
- Raja Sunda, Jl. Dr. Djunjunan.
- Sambel Cibiuk, Jl. Merak.
- Bumbu Desa, newer and more prestigious Sundanese traditional restaurant, branch in Bandung can be located at Jl. Laswi No. 1, +62 22 7100539, Jl. Pasirkaliki No. 160, +62 22 4234330 and Rumah Mode Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi No. 41, +62 22 91147980.
- Ibu Haji Ciganea, . Famous sundanese food restaurant from Purwakarta, Bandung branch can be located at Jl. Lodaya No. 29,
Chinese style restaurants
- The Duck King, Paris Van Java Mall, Jl. Sukajadi. Possibly the best Chinese restaurant in Bandung.
- Golden Lake Chinese Restaurant, Jl.Setiabudhi 269-275, , e-mail: [email protected]. 7AM-2PM, 6PM-10PM.Discount up to 30%, until Aug 31, 2011, Cantonese meals, yamcha/dimsum served by chef from Hongkong.
- Eastern Restaurant, Istana Plaza Mall, at Upper Central Bandung Jl. Pasirkaliki. Halal Chinese Restaurant but very popular in Bandung
- Grand Eastern Restaurant, Jalan Pasirkaliki No. 18 (near Paskal Hypersquare and Bandung Train Station), .
- Jess Dago, Jl. Ir. H.Djuanda 151 B, . Chinese and Malay cuisine.
Thai style restaurants
- Coca Suki, Jl. Ir. H. Juanda (Dago) 173, . A branch of the Coca restaurant in Thailand. More than Rp 150.000 per person.
- Thai Palace, in Istana Plaza Mall. Jl. PasirKaliki and another branch at Upper Dago Area on Jl. Ir. H. Juanda No. 345 B +62 22 2503006 ; +62 22 2512857.
Japanese and Korean style restaurants
- Hanamasa, Istana Plaza. Jl. PasirKaliki. Jl. Merdeka 39-41, . Japanese restaurant with yakiniku, shabu-shabu, robatayaki, beef, chicken, seafood. Opening hours: 11AM-10PM. Approximately US $22/person.
- Momiji, Jl. Braga 64, . Japanese Cuisine. Serving authenthic Japanese cuisine in Jalan Braga, the famous historical street of Bandung.
- Midori, Jl. Sultan Tirtayasa 31, . Similar price range with Sushi Tei. Its sashimi are thick
- Korean House, At North Bandung on Jl. Sukajadi No. 175, .
- Chef's Table Resto and Bar, Jalan Setiabudi 67, .European restaurant with selections of ribs, steaks, pasta, pizza with no MSG. Open until 11PM. US $8-10/person.
- Atmosphere Resort Cafe, Jalan Lengkong Besar 97, .
- Glosis Restaurant at Cihampelas Walk (Ciwalk). Jl. Cihampelas. Prices are approximately US $8/person
- Vienna cafe & resto, Jl. Sukajadi 205, . Previously Cafe Venezia. Italian restaurant with pasta, pizza, fried chicken, salad, soup. 9AM-11PM. Approximately US $15/person.
- Tony Roma's, Jl. Sumatra 1, , fax: .American themed restaurant with ribs, steaks, soup, salad. Prices are in the higher range.
- Sadewa Steak Near Pajajaran, 5 min from Airport, 10 min from Railway Station. Jl. Sadewa 24, Bandung. Specialize European steak and pasta in a cozy environment. Open 4:30PM-10PM. Price: approx. US $4/person.
- Canary, Jl. Ir. H. Juanda 28, . International style restaurant withhamburger, steak, fried chicken, sate, soup, salad. Hours 7AM-9PM. Price: approx. US $7/person.
- The Stone Cafe, . The unforgettable dining experience, Jl. Rancakendal Luhur No.5 (Gerbang Dago Resort), Dago Atas. International style menu, Sundanese Menu, Chinese menu. Hours: 11AM-11PM on weekdays, 11AM-2AM on Sat and Sundays. Live music every Day.
- Amigos Restaurant, , fax: . At Le'aries Garden Hotel. Jl. Terusan Pasteur Annex. approx. US6/person.
- HDL Jl. Cilaki. Street food in stalls on pedestrian area of the street. Reportedly very delicious and affordable but you need to take caution if you are not accustomed with street food in developing countries.
- Praoe Seafood, Jl Sumatera 31, .
- Parit 9 Seafood, Jln Anggrek No 61, .
- D'Cost seafood, . Budget no-frill seafood restaurant that has several branches in Bandung. One of them in North of Bandung on Jl. Sukajadi no. 197.
- JESS 2 DAGO, JL.Ir.H.DJUANDA 151 B, .
Ice cream and pastry
Your culinary tour in Bandung does not end at the restaurants/cafes! There are plenty of bakeries in the city where exotic pastries entices you to bring one home — a legacy of the Dutch who wanted to pamper or relax in the city. Some of them have high popularities that you must take a queue even before the shop it even opens!
- Sumber Hidangan, Jl. Braga 20. Daily 8:30AM-7PM, closed Sundays. The bakery was opened as Het Snoephuis (The Candy House) in 1929. The interior is still pretty much the same as it was in earlier times. Breads and cookies' still retain their names on display in Dutch, such as zwieback, roomsoes, krentenbrood, saucijzenbrood, suiker hagelslaag. Its old-time ambience and original menu attracts tourists and long-time patrons. While the premise may look like a run down but the elderly long-time working staffs suggest that they have authenticity in mind. If you are fed up with pastries, its ice cream and steak should perk you up.
- Bawean Bakery (formerly Sweetheart Bakery), Jl. Bawean 4, . Established in 1946, the name was Sweetheart Bakery until they changed it name during the New Order regime. The new name is taken from the shop location at Jalan Bawean. Their specialties are cakes baked using rum; such as nougat rolls, brownies and similar. This alcoholic ingredient make their cakes taste a bit bitter but preservable for a week.
- Brownies Kukus Amanda, (Main outlet) Jl. Rancabolang 29 (branch) Jl. Ir. H. Djuanda No. 167, Jl. Dr. Setiabudi No. 164, . For its namesake, the brand highlights its steamed (no-bake) chocolate soft brownies, enticing people to form a line at its outlets!
- Kartika Sari, (Main outlet) Jl. Buah Batu 165A, (branch) Jl. Ir. H. Juanda No. 85 (Dago), . The primary brand for local Bandung pastries. A wide selection of pastries, but the most famous include its lapis cakes; thecheese sticks; keju bagelen; and the special pisang mollen, a round bread stuffed with banana that you can choose with or without choose.
- Prima Rasa, Jl. Kemuning 20, . The main contender of Kartika Sari, similar products but some of the pastries has an added modern touch. Its best-selling product includes the Picnic Roll, a box of assorted sweet and savory pastries.
- Rasa Bakery, Jl. Tamblong no. 15, . One of the most well known ice cream parlors in Bandung. Home made for your sweet tooth. From Rp20,000.
- Soes Merdeka, Jl. Merdeka No. 25-29, . The outlet has a legacy of its kue soes, a puff pastry with sweet fillings, but its specialty includes a rum filling.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.
We find the best hotel and flight deals and you choose the one you prefer.