Shopping in Bandung
Shopping for clothing and accessories is the main reason many weekend visitors travel from Jakarta. Many items are less expensive than in Jakarta. Denim (jeans) stores are along Jl. Cihampelas. These became very popular in the 90s with unique facades built to attract people. The more up-market fashion stores include the many emporiums on Jl. Dago, Jl. Riau and Jl. Setiabudhi. Sisa exports(rejected export products), and factory outlets are prolific and have a very wide range of export quality items, mainly for 'L' sizes and over. Small sizes sometimes are remakes of big sizes, which you may find fit your body, but with the pocket on your chest looking oversized. A new trend are the distro (distribution outlets). Luxury labels are often available but for those the extensive upmarket malls in Jakarta may be more suitable with a much larger range, however they are often more expensive.
Local handicrafts and souvenirs
- Wayang Golek, is a Sundanese puppet show. Unlike Javanese wayang puppet, wayang golek is made from wood. Find wayang golek at Galeri Cupumanik, Jl. Haji Umar.
- Angklung, is a Sundanese ethnical music instrument .
- Elizabeth, Jl. Otto Iskandar Dinata 520, . Leather handicrafts, including shoes, bags and other accessories. Well-known local shoe and leather craft outlets are centred in the Cibaduyut area.
- Jeans Street, Jl. Cihampelas. A lot of denim shops decorated with funky designs. Giant models of Superman, Goku, Rambo and others, stand guard over some of the shops.
- Souvenir Shop, Jl. Cihampelas no.39, . Very good quality and inexpensive local souvenirs. The shop in one of the many old Dutch colonial style buildings.
- Toko Sin Sin, Jl. Braga 59, . Sells various high quality handicraft and souvenirs, including wayang golek (wood puppet), wayang kulit (leather puppet), angklung, leather and crocodile skin handicraft (mostly bags, wallets, and belts), wood carvings, Indonesian traditional silverworks, paintings, and even Indonesian furniture. This is a shop with very long history, started even before Indonesia gained independence.
- LORI, Jl. Guntur 1, , fax: . Ethnic contemporary styled jewellery and handicraft accessories for women and men. Product use natural, environment friendly materials such as stones, cowstone, woods, seeds and Rudrakash/Ganitrus Beads.
While shopping malls are not the actual highlights of a trip to Bandung, there are a few that are prominent enough to be included in this list.
- Bandung Indah Plaza (BIP), Jl. Merdeka No. 56 (Jl. Sumatra),. Daily 10:00-22:00. The typical layout of malls you would expect like Jakarta, with middle class shops and reasonably priced restaurants.
- Cihampelas Walk (Ciwalk), Jl. Cihampelas No. 160, .Daily 10:00-22:00. After a drop from your outlet shopping at the strip, there are choices of restaurants to fill up, or rest at the outdoor park for a change of pace.
- Paris Van Java (PVJ), Jl. Sukajadi No. 137-139, .Open-air style shopping mall, buildings designed in a European colonial style, hence its name. Wide alleyways and boulevards filled with middle to upper class apparels with a plethora of food outlets, as well as a Blitz cinema that sometimes airs non-Hollywood blockbusters as well as a number of Indonesian movies.
- Trans Studio Mall (TSM), Jl. Gatot Subroto 289, .An opulent addition to the city, right next to the theme park. The place to find upscale clothing and fashion brands, as well as sit-down dining options and a huge food court.
- Istana Plaza (IP), Jl. Pasirkaliki 121-123, . By and large, an ordinary mall of middle class tenants. Located right at the heart of Bandung.
Factory outlets (FO)
Many fashion items that are typically manufactured for many of the world's top brands are produced in Indonesia. Of the productions, even slight defects such as a missing or incorrectly inserted button are enough to reject the bag from being displayed at their shelves, or they might have overrun the production quota that they ended up being dumped. These residual products are sold with sisa exporttags, because they were made for export. Some of these items have Grade A(best quality, overrun product) or Grade B (export quality, slight defect) qualities. Don't be surprised to see made in Korea or made in Singapore in their tags! While you will still see a bag tagged $65 intended for sale at New York City, they will sell for only Rp45,000 ($5), a dramatically small fraction of the listed price in the destination market!
Enjoy bargain hunting but make a careful inspection yourself. Check for below-standard or damaged items and counterfeit branded products. The shops often have a wide range of modern contemporary styles and accessories.
Most of factory outlets are concentrated in Riau Street, Cihampelas Street, Dago Street, and Sukajadi-Setiabudi street. Listed here are just a few of the attractions, while its surrounding area has other shops that have surprises waiting for those who do pay a visit. If you cannot find what you are looking for, it is very likely you can find them next door or across the street!
- Cascade, Jalan RE Martadinata (Riau) No. 65, .Mostly casual or semi formal clothing. There are also collections of hats and accessories. The top floor has a dedicated scrapbooking area, where an instructor can teach you how to make one with accessories of your choice!
- ForMen, Jalan RE Martadinata (Riau) No.36, . The dedicated factory outlet solely for men, from formal to casual wear, a perfect resort while waiting for your wife or girlfriend shopping till drop.
- Heritage, Jalan RE Martadinata (Riau) no. 63. Colonial style exterior with humongous options of clothing. The outdoor café is very wide, has greenery, and a playing area. The top floor has a dedicated section for outwear or sweaters, as well as scrapbook making.
- The Secret, Jalan RE Martadinata (Riau) No.47. A modern style outlet, the first outlet you'll encounter when you enter Jalan Riau. There is a huge section for kids at its back, but it is for generally all ages. Both casual and smart casual options.
- Rumah Mode, Jalan Doktor Setiabudi no.41F, . Daily 9AM-9PM. Probably the most well-known outlet in Bandung. The options are especially great for both girls and boys' formal wear, but may not be as cheap as the street outlets. If your feet are aching after the stroll, there are cafés with both indoor and outdoor sit-down areas. VERY crowded on weekends.
Distros (distribution outlets)
Distros are a new phenomenon in Bandung where a shop sells stylish products that were made by local designers. They are served as a distribution store, because these local designers do not have their own marketing label yet. The products that are sold are books, indie label records, magazines and also fashion products and accessories. After their products receive large attention they may then release their own clothing label. There are more than 200 local brand names in Bandung. One thing that makes distros stand out from factory outlet is that distros come from individual designers and young entrepreneurs, while factory outlet products come from a garment factory.
Note that now distros are getting famous in Indonesia. The local branded name with free and independent motivation has been shifted. Be careful when buying in distros as the prices are increasing to a level almost the same as at boutique shops.
- Some of the Bandung distros:
- unkl347, Jl. Trunojoyo 4
- Invictus,Jl.Pager gunung 13 and Jl.Trunojoyo 6 [www]
- Ouval Research, Jl. Buah Batu 64
- No Label, Jl. Sumatra 24, Blackjack, Jl. Trunojoyo
- Screamous, Jl. Trunojoyo
- Badger, Jl. Trunojoyo
- Airplane,"starseeker","oglea", "Blankwear" Jl. Sultan Agung
- Cosmic, Jl. Trunojoyo
- Green Light, Bandung Indah Plaza Lt. 2 and Jl. Buah Batu
- Temple, Jl. Dipatiukur
- Skaters, Bandung Indah Plaza Lt. 2, Jl. Cihampelas and Jl. Raya Lembang
- Black ID, Jl. Lombok and Paris Van Java Mall.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.