Things to do in Yogyakarta
- Masangin (masuk antara dua beringin, passing two ficus trees). This simple and fun game is held at South Alun-alun (Sultan's square). The participant is blindfolded and he/she must walk straight to pass two ancient ficus tree. Even though it sounds like an easy task, most participants usually failed. After that, you can go to the food stalls around the corner, relax a bit and have a sip of warm Wedang Ronde (ginger drink).
- Sunday Morning at Boulevard UGM, every Sunday, the wide main boulevard in Universitas Gadjah Mada complex (UGM) is crowded with students jogging and practicing martial arts like Karate, Silat, and Capoeira. Wake up early at 7-9AM and head to the boulevard UGM to do a bit of exercise. After that, you can taste many kind of foods sold by stalls there. The menu includes Opor Ayam (chicken curry with rice cake), Bubur Ayam (Chicken Porridge), Siomay (fish dumplings), and Sate Ambal (chicken satay with tempeh sauce). Don't forget to check the flea market nearby.
- Wayang Kulit (the Javanese shadow play, accompanied with gamelan orchestra are performed every night at Museum Sonobudoyo.), Jl. Trikora 6, Yogyakarta 55122 (north alun-alun), , , fax:. 8PM-10PM. Rp 20,000.
- Becak or Andong ride, take a short trip around the town using Becak or Andong cart.
- Shop at Traditional Market, witness local habits by visiting Yogya's traditional market such as Pasar Beringharjo and Pasar Kranggan.
- Reflexology, achieve soothing experience by having a short reflexology massage. Currently one of the hippesting among Jogjanese.
- Rafting, a splashy ride at Elo river and Progo river. Kisik River Camp is one of the rafting and kayaking operators on this river.
- Yoga & Meditation classes take place daily at Balance Mind-Body-Soul, Jalan Cendrawasih 36, Demangan Baru, +62 274 742 7925, +62 274 566717 (fax: +62 274 566717).
- Merapi Golf, . a famous 18-holes golf course designed by international firm Thomson, Wolveridge & Perrett. It is located on the slopes of Mount Merapi, where you can enjoy the scenic view of the mountains and its environs while playing golf. The course was partially damaged during the 2010 eruptions but has since been restored. Attracts visitors from all over
- There is also another, smaller Golf course located within the grounds of the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
- Dance. Bailamos, Jalan Demangan Baru 1, provides ballet and international ballroom/Latin dancing.
- Street chess, When it's quiet, particularly around the end of Malioboro Street near the Kraton complex, the becak drivers will play chess on the street with large wooden sets. You are welcome to challenge them and it's fun to do so. Bear in mind that this is how they pass the time between fares, so some play for several hours each day - you'll be up against some stiff competition. Don't offer or accept any bets on the outcome - it takes the fun out of a good way to interact with the locals and pass the time.
- Backstreet Academy (backstreet academy), Jl Kartini No. 7, Sagan Yogyakarta City, , e-mail:[email protected]. 6 AM - 10 PM. An alternative tour experiences platform, Backstreet Academy enable locals to offer authentic and unique activities to tourists such as Fishing in the South Sea like Local Fishermen, Traditional Javanese Archery workshops, Intimate Cooking Classes with Locals, Classical Javanese Dance Workshops and even classic tours like Boroburur and Merapi tours but with a unique twist of their own. A social enterprise, they work with many underprivileged people who bringing back the curiosity in traditions, skills and culture and not just in the form of looking, but by having an intimate, hands-on experience with a master of his craft.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.