Food & Restaurants in Astana
Beshbarmak - a horse meat and pasta dish. Most restaurants that serve it will present a portion enough for two or three people. Boursaky - bread best served piping hot. A little like an unsweetened doughnut. Shashliq - unless you have a sturdy stomach, best to avoid unknown street vendors, but these kebabs are often cheap, and a good 'safe bet' if you recognise little else on the menu.
Along Turan street (formerly Sara Arka), there is a row of restaurants that while a bit expensive are quite good. They also have private rooms for parties, saunas, and even hotel rooms.
- Cafe Shimket, Immanova, near Republic Street (in Kazyna Mall, next to Cinema City). If you want a greasy spoon style meal, with cheap prices, and a mixture of makes in the car park, rather than 4x4s, Hummers and Mercedes, head over here. cheaper.
- Melnitsa (Windmill), Turan Street (near Khan Shatyr). Possibly the only Ukrainian restaurant in Astana with one of the best outdoor dining areas in the city. Lots of traditional Ukrainian dishes like potato pancakes and of course Chicken Kiev. Live music in the evenings. Fresh bread oven. Great décor, like a farmer's hut.KZT1500-3000 for a main dish.
- Tre Kronor (Three Crowns), Turan Street (near Mega Mall). Consistent with its name, the restaurant strives for a more European fare. It features excellent steaks and decent sausages. Nice Brew Pub atmosphere though it is a proper restaurant. Most evenings there's a live band which plays a mix of reggae, classic rock and Russian rock. Nice outdoor cafe in the summer. KZT1500-3000 for a main dish.
- Satti, 32 Kabanbay Batyr Street, .
- Line Brew. Popular with expats and locals alike, Line Brew features its own brew of beer, with an impressive menu that includes several delicious steaks, including one made of horse meat.
- 1000 and 1 nights cafe, Bayan Sulu hotel, . The main destination for authentic Turkish and Arabic cuisine in Astana. Operated by Turkish management. Located at Bayan Sulu Hotel, which is located not far from Eurasia shopping center.
- Ali Babas, 3 Bukeikhan st. Astana 010000, Kazakhstan. 8 172321899 (North of the river). Summer only. A very popular summer restaurant. The waitresses and waiters dress in traditional dress and the menu offers a selection of central Asian cuisine. Prices are in line with Europe or America but the food is good. There are fake bird cages hanging from the roof which tweet electronically. Camel and horse milk are on offer along side Leffe beer c. KZT3000.
- Rafe, Bukeikhan Street Astana, Kazakhstan (Almost opposite Ali Babas). A modern coffee bar offering Italian food with a twist. Be sure to check out the horse pizza c. KZT3000.
- Turfan, Alikhan Bokeikhan St 10, . Popular restaurant with the locals, offering a good range of Central Asian food selectable by pictures, they don't have an English menu but the staff will happily try their English on you. Slightly cheaper than the near-by Alibaba. During Ramadan they don't serve alcohol