Coffee & Drink in Malacca
When in Malacca, don't miss the cendol ("chen-dul"), a sweet dessert of coconut milk, lurid green noodles and gula Melaka (Malacca sugar), made from palm sap.
- Jonker Walk has many food and drinks outlets which serve Nyonya laksa (laksa with coconut milk) and desserts like cendol, including the sinful durian cendol.
- Limau Limau Cafe, 49 Jonker St. Wide selections of fresh juices, milkshakes and lassi, with no water or sugar added. They sell Lavazza coffee.
- Clocktower cendol, Jalan Laksamana. Located by the Malacca River opposite the Red Square clock tower. Another Malacca legend, the cendol served by this Indian-Muslim hawker is superb. You can have it plain or with red bean and is a wonderful thirst-quencher when doing the historical sights circuit.
- Indian rojak It used to operate out of a mangosteen-shaped stall (hence he's also known as "Mangosteen cendol") but now has a more conventional-looking stall.
Café, bars and bistro
- Far East Café, 19, Jl Hang Lekir (Jonker Street), . , 11PM till late. Reasonable selection of drinks, quiet and unpretentious. Good for a quiet drink. More a restaurant than a bar. On the expensive side by local standards, small portions and meat is more bones than anything else. Inside it's quiet, but the outside part is very noisy because you can hear the music from all the bars on the street, plus cars and trishaws going past.
- Honky Tonk Haven Cafe, . 68, Jl Lorong Hang Jebat (1st cross street, turn left off Jonker Walk). Small pub/cafe with view onto the Melaka River at the back. Run by a husband and wife team. (Gunabalan. Chilled beers and stout are sold. Sit at the riverside walkway at the back after a hot sultry malaccan evening and enjoy the view. Live entertainment on week-ends. Weekdays music is piped country and jazz music selections. Open daily, 6:30PM-12:30AM, except Mondays.
- Libra Restaurant and Cocktail House, 15 Jl Hang Lekir (Jonker St), . , 6PM–2PM Su-Th and 6PM-3PM Fri-Sat. Wide selection of beers and cocktails.
- Ringo Cafe, 11 Jl Hang Lekir (Jonker St), . 6PM–2AM Fri-Saturday and public holidays. Drink beer through the night with an awesome one man show live music. Ringo entertains with his singing, guitar and harmonica skills.
- Visioners Mode Karaoke and Bar, G-21, PM4, Plaza Mahkota, . 6PM-2AM.
- Geographer Cafe, 83, Jalan Hang Jebat, 75200 Malacca, Malaysia (middle of Jonker Street), . 10AM - 1AM (Monday - Saturday),8AM - 1AM (Sunday). A great crowd fusion of westerners and locals alike, a best chill out place with some cold beer on a warm night with live music and a small open dance floor. Great place to mingle away.