Coffee & Drink in Kathmandu
Nepal is a coffee producing country, though the people are famously tea drinkers. Most often coffee is of the instant-type, although fresh coffee is available. When ordering, try ordering "strong coffee", as opposed to just "coffee", if you don't want instant coffee. Expect your cappuccino to be anywhere from very little froth in large cup to something laced with whipped cream, and there is little difference between latte and cappuccino. Places to look for fresh, ground coffee are:
- Alchemy, Chetrapati, Thamel. Good cappucinos and espressos from Nepali coffee. They serve also other Italian specialities such as pizza, pasta and superb "gelato" (Italian ice cream).
- Aqua Java Zing, Thamel (opposite Nepal Investment Bank). 10-10. - resto-lounge- global gourmet cuisine- specialty coffees- refreshing cocktail-free wi fi -scrumptious desserts
- Bakery Cafe Also serves good coffee at some outlets. The one in Sundhara (near Dharahara) has the best. The chain also has one of the best espresso equipment around, hence the good quality.
- Chikusa Café, Jyatha road, Thamel. Nepali coffee, Sandwiches and crêpes. Strawberry lassi is a specialty. Now they have Wi-Fi too; just ask for the password.
- Chobhar Cafe-Restaurantwith panoramic views of the Himalayas, in Kathmandu suburbs, on the road to Daskshinkali (8 km). Peace, no air or noise pollution. In natural setting, surrounded by flower & sculpture garden. 20 min away
- Galleria Cafe at Thamel. Relaxing lounge serving illy coffee and wine.
- Higher Ground Cafe, Jawalakhel, Patan. Excellent lattes and fresh cinnamon rolls.
- Himalayan Java. Everything you ever wanted in a coffee shop, great coffees, meals, desserts, newspapers, sofas, Large screen TV, even a guitar on the wall that says, "Play me!" Meet the teenage elite of Kathmandu here. Upstairs, the last building on the left as you leave Thamel heading for the former Royal Palace, near a sign for an Apple computer shop. One floor above it is a bar and pizza shop from which you can also order Himalayan Java's coffee. Also has an outlet near Ravi Bhawan, opposite Lincoln School.
- Just Juice and Shakes. Coffee drinks, espresso, Cappuccino, and juice and shakes, sweet rolls, etc., too. See 'Eat' above for location.
- La Dolce Vita at Thamel.
- Magic Beans at Kingsway. There's an open lounge called Sherpa Mall and when you enter it, Magic Beans is on the first floor to the right side. A lot of varieties, and quick service. Accompanied by soft music, mostly pop and soft-rock.
- Mike's Breakfast Get unlimited refills of fresh ground drip coffee for Rs.75.
- Red Mud Coffee (formerly The Coffee Point) at Thapathali Road. On the east side, within the Trade Tower Nepal (TTN) complex, opposite the Rashtra Banijya Bank, before Nepal Rastra bank and beside Khadya Sangsthan (Nepal Food Corporation). Offer different coffees. Wi-fi and a calm atmosphere.
- Roadhouse Cafe in Thamel, Bhat Bhatteni or Pulchowk, cappuccino, cafe Mocha, etc. Accompany your coffee with the selection of desserts. See 'Eat' above for location.