Things to do in Kathmandu
Kathmandu city itself has limited activities for visitors beyond the amazing sightseeing and general experience of being there.
- Russian Centre of Science and Culture (Russian: Pоссийский Центр Науки и Культуры), Pashupati Marga, Block No. 1055/31, Kamal Pokhari, , fax: , e-mail: [email protected].Office Hours: M-Th 09:00-18:00, F 09:00-17:00, Lunch Hours: 14:00-15:00. Russian Library. [email protected]
Kathmandu is the starting point for numerous adventures in the rest of the country including trekking, rafting, jungle adventures, and more extreme sports.
- Hiking / Trekking in the Kathmandu Valley
- Nagarkot (2 days) - offers a great spot for watching surrounding mountain ranges at sunrise or sunset from atop the hill.
- The Kathmandu Valley Cultural Trekking Trail (5 days), includes treks to Nagarkot and Dhulikhel
- Shivapuri Hiking Trek (5 days) displays the best of Nepal’s rural culture, biodiversity and stunning Himalayan views. Trekking Routes to Nagarkot, Gosainkunda, Helambu and the Langtang National Park.
- Bungy Jumping @ The Last Resort - located 3 hours by bus east of Kathmandu, near the border with Tibet, features the 3rd highest bungy jump in the world.
- Kumari Cinema Hall (QFX Kumari), Dhobidhara Marg.
- Mountain Flights. Most local airlines offer one hour flights over the Himalayas departing between 6:30-9:00 AM from Kathmandu airport, costing US197. Book in advance during the popular tourist season.
Connecting with locals
- Backstreet Academy, Kathmandu, , e-mail:[email protected]. A social enterprise tour platform that enables locals in developing countries to create their own tour/ course. Check out their momos cooking course, mask carving, pottery, stone carving or dal bhat cooking courses, among many others on their website. Simply book on their website and a facilitator (usually a local university student) will arrive to pick you up for your course.
- Hidden Journeys Nepal, , e-mail:[email protected]. Organizes tours that take guests to visit and learn from Nepal's change makers, eg, social entrepreneurs, artists, activists and other innovators. There are prearranged tours (usually 2 days including a networking session in the evening) on specific issues - or you can design your own.
- Baisdhara park, Balaju (West from Gongabu Bus Park).
- Bhrikuti Mandap Park (Bhrikutimandi), Pradarshani Marg.
- Bhugol Park, Dharma Path, New Rd (Naya Sadak).
- Fun Park, Pradarshani Chakra (Right next to Bhrikuti Mandap Park).
- Maitighar Mandala Park (Near to Thapathali Engineering Campus).
- UN Park, Shiva Marga (Bagmati Riverside).
- Ratna Park, Kanti Path, Durbar Marg (Ratna Park Micro Bus Stop).
- Sankha Park, Dhumbarahi. close to Ring Road
- Tribhuwan Park, Thankot, Kathmandu (From old Bus park, 1 or 2 hour by local vehicles.). One of big park located western part of the Kathmandu.
- Godavari Botanical Garden, Godavari, Lalitpur. Botanical Garden
- Dasharath Rangasala Stadium, Tripureshwor, Kathmandu(Tripureshwor Bus Stop).
- National Table Tennis Training Center, Lainchaur Marg.
- T U Cricket Stadium, T U, Kirtipur.
- ANFA Complex, Satdobato, Lalitpur.