Food & Restaurants in Muscat
Food is relatively cheap in Muscat, a meal can cost just a couple of rials. For inexpensive Indian food, there are many restaurants catering to Indian guest workers in Al Khuwayr. In Mutrah you can walk down the waterfront in the Corniche area to catch a cool sea breeze, and treat yourself to some sandwiches and Halib (tea with milk) or Sulaimani (black tea) at one of the wayside restaurants. A cup of tea costs about OMR0.050.
- Al-exandria, Fanja House, Near Sabco Centre, Ruwi, Tel - 561611. The best Rotis (Indian Bread). Try the chicken Jalfrezi and Paneer aloo (potato).
- Automatic, (Cuisine - Lebanese). Try the Hummus (Chickpea paste), Fatoosh (Salad), Mutabel (Egg Plant paste), Falafel and mint tea. Even the waiters are not sure why the restaurant is named automatic. There is a branch of Automatic located on the side of the Sabco Centre facing away from the central car park. There are also branches in Ruwi, Al Khuwair and elsewhere in Muscat.
- Al Haikal Restaurant, 2996 Way (near bus stand, Ruwi). Pakistani food.
- Al-Hanan, Ruwi (Cuisine - Indian).
- Al Shaheen Restaurant, Honda Rd (Ruwi). Pakistani food.
- Al Tarboush (Al-Tarboosh) (opposite the Sabco Centre, Qurm). Fast Arabian/Lebanese-style food available for takeaway or eat-in on the first floor.
- Bella-Pais, MAM roundabout, just off the Nizwa turn off (Cuisine - Greek + Other).
- Bin Ateeq, Al Khuwair Rd (near Shell petrol station and Holiday Inn, Al Khuwair), , fax: , e-mail:[email protected]. Daily 09:00-02:00. This place is mentioned in various guidebooks as the only 'authentic' Omani restaurant in town - and its fame means that this is now popular with tourists. The food is acceptable, if a bit pricey.
- Bin Ateeq, 2730 Way (Ruwi), , e-mail:[email protected]. Daily 09:00-02:00. Another branch of the popular Omani restaurant.
- Gujrat Bhojan Shala, Ruwi High Street, Ruwi (Cuisine - Indian).
- Muscat Light Restaurant & Coffeeshop, Al Bahri Rd (Old Muscat). Ideal place for a break during a walking tour of Old Muscat.
- Ofair Traditional Restaurant, Al Marafah St (Al Khuwair), .Serves traditional Omani food.
- Oman Express, Tel - 7731329. Delivers Lunch - 18 rials for a month including Fridays or 15.6 Rials excluding Fridays.
- Saravana Bhavan Restaurant (Ruwi, opposite OC Centre), . South Indian vegetarian restaurant.
- Subway, City Centre, Seeb, Tel - 542225.
- The Chedi Pizza Restaurant, Way No. 3215 (The Chedi Hotel, Ghubrah).Offers less expensive food than the other Chedi outlets, with the same understated chic ambience.
- Haffa House Hotel Restaurant, Al Farahidi St (Ruwi), .
- Kargeen Caffe, Al Bashair St, , fax: , e-mail: [email protected]. Traditional Omani food served in a traditional setting. There is an outdoor seating area for shisha smokers, and a surprisingly good selection of vegetarian options. Reservations are recommended, particularly on weekends.
- Turkish House (Al Khuwair), . 11:00-01:00. The most popular Turkish restaurant in Muscat, with excellent fish dishes. Take-away and delivery available in the Al Khuwair area.
- Al Khiran, Al Bustan Palace Hotel(Qantab). Famous for their Friday brunch buffets. OMR19.5 + 17% service charge.
- Bait Al Bahr (Shangri-La Hotel), , e-mail:[email protected]. 19:00-23:00. Traditional Omani seafood. Reservations strongly recommended; smart casual, nonsmoking.
- The Chedi, North Ghubra 32 (Al Ghubra). Four open kitchens featuring international cuisine.
- Mumtaz Mahal (Al Qurm). Indian cuisine.
- Passage to India, Al Wutayyah (near Hatat House), . (reservations)Indian cuisine.
- Taj Samarkhand, Oasis by the Sea Residences (Al Qurm), . Indian Peshwari cuisine.