Coffee & Drink in Chiang Mai
Between 2009 and 2011 the coffee scene changed in Chiang Mai. The coffee chains were saving money by using inferior coffee and untrained staff. A new coffee place called Akha Ama started with high precision coffee brewing. This example was soon followed by others.
- Akha Ama, 9/1 Mata Apartment, Hussadhisewee Rd, Soi 3 (Santitham area). 08:00-20:00, closed W.
- Bitter Sweet, Huay Kaew Rd (At the Shell Service Station). The noisy location is made up for by the excellent espresso. Internet is free, and the "fishbowl" inside is both air conditioned and soundproofed against the rush of traffic.
- La Fattoria (Akha Ama 2), 175/1 Ratchadamnoen Rd (Inside moat, near Wat Phra Sing). 08:00-20:00. At this location they roast the coffee for their outlets.
- Happy Espresso, 15 Bumrung Buri Rd (At the south moat, Chinese Consulate is across the water). They roast their own beans.
- J. Ju Coffee, 52 Ratchamanka Rd. Run by "Oil", this little place has excellent espresso-based drinks, free Wi-Fi, or ten minutes on the computer with your coffee. Very modern design; seating in the front is open-air while the back is air conditioned. Oil herself speaks excellent English and is happy to give you the low-down.
- 9th Street Cafe, 12/4 Nimmanhaemin Rd Soi 9 (Nimmanhaemin area), . 08:30-23:00.
- Pacamara, Ratchadamnoen Rd (Inside moat, near Wat Chedi Luang). 07:00-19:00.
- Ponganes, 133/5 Ratchapakinai Rd, . , Th-Tu 08:30-16:30, closed W.
- Ristr8to, 15/3 Nimmanhaemin Rd (Between Soi 3 and Soi 5). 08:00-23:00.A trendy art cafe featuring an award-winning barista, choices of single-origin beans and a varied drink menu. Very friendly atmosphere at much higher standard than is normally seen in Thailand.
- Somkiat Style Cafe, Sirimankalajan Road (Next to Hotel Victoria), .
- Starbucks (The well-known chain with 6 more branches in Chiang Mai) (East of Tha Phae Gate, outside moat). Wi-Fi, 150 baht per hour. Drink prices much higher than the other coffee places.
- Wawee Coffee (Local chain with 5 outlets in Chiang Mai), Ratchadamnoen Rd (At Kad Klang Wiang). Looks much like a Starbucks. Nice mugs if you drink it there. Several other locations in and around Chiang Mai. Inside is well air-conditioned, outside is under a canopy (they mist water in the heat of the afternoon). The staff pride themselves on their decorative drinks (look for the panda-topped latte). Internet available for small fee.