Things to do in Pattaya
Pattaya's main beaches are popular and busy places for activities. Some of these include banana-boat rides, jet-skiing, water-skiing, para-sailing, windsurfing, and the like; anyone who just wants to enjoy a simple swim or a good splash around with a Frisbee or rented inner tube will always find themselves with plenty of company as well.
Pattaya is well known for its katoey cabaret (aka ladyboyor transvestite) shows. Two of the best known (expect busloads of Asian tourists) are:
- Alcazar Cabaret (อัลคาซ่าร์ คาบาร์เร่ต์), Pattaya 2 Rd (across from Soi 5), .Showtime 18:30, 20:00, 21:30. A VIP seat closer to the front costs 200 baht extra. Directly after the show the performers come outside for a few minutes photo session. 40 baht per photo with each performer of your choice or 200 baht for an instant Polaroid photo taken by their own photographer. 600-800 baht.
- Tiffany's Show (ทิฟฟานี่ โชว์), Pattaya 2 Rd, . Showtime 18:00, 19:30, 21:00. Tiffany's is a family-friendly ladyboy cabaret show. The 19:30 show is generally deemed to be the best of the night. After the show there the ladyboys would gather outside available for photos sessions with interested audience. However, be aware that taking photos with the ladyboy means you are obligated to give the ladyboy tips as much as 40 baht to 100 baht depending on the rank of the ladyboy (front row ladyboys are more costly to take photos with than the back rows). Some ladyboys offers free photos session though. In May Tiffany's Show hosts the annual Miss Tiffany's Universe Pageant beauty queen competition, for contestants born as men. If you've got testosterone left over, visit the shooting range in the basement! Contact Tiffany's directly for a complimentary pick-up from your hotel. 500, 700, 800 baht.
- NB: Some roadside local travel agents offers significantly cheaper ticket prices for the above shows, including for VIP seats. They also provide tickets for other things like sex shows.
Cinemas in Thailand tend to be severely air conditioned - bring a long sleeve shirt, or jacket, or both! Otherwise, the four large mall cinemas in Pattaya are mostly up to Western standards. Some (but by no means all) Thai-language films are subtitled in English (check the billing at the theatre) and some films will have both subtitled and non-subtitled showings. Visitors must stand up during the national anthem.
- Major Cineplex, The Avenue (second road across from Soi 13). Shows similar movies to the SFX cinema in Central Festival but is about 20 baht cheaper. Regular ticket for 120 baht (80 baht on Wednesdays).
- SFX Cinema, Central Pattaya Beach. Multiplex with 10 theatres on the 6th floor of the Central Festival shopping complex. Regular ticket for 140 baht (120 baht on Wednesdays), larger seat 20 baht more, fancy sofa seat at the very back, 500 baht. One theatre has first class seats for 600 baht (including popcorn and a soft drink).
- SF Cinema City, Central (Big-C), . This cinema has six theatres with ticket prices around 90 baht, slightly more at weekends; this has increasingly been showing Thai-soundtrack-only films (including dubbed versions of foreign films and no-English-subtitle releases of Thai films).
As with most coastal towns in Thailand, Pattaya is a good place for diving. The diving is done mostly on the near islands, Ko Larn, Ko Sak, Ko Krok. Once in a while the dive centres go out to the far islands, Ko Rin and Koh Wichai.
The diving off Pattaya is also known for its numerous wrecks: the HTMS Kut, HTMS Kram, the Bremen, and the Harddeep.
- Bowling Plus (previously Pattaya Bowl), Second Rd (at the junction with Soi Regent Marina), . Daily, 10:00-02:00. 20 bowling lanes. Also has 6 pool tables plus 2 full-size snooker tables for 120 baht/hour. 70-90 baht/person.
- O.D. Bowl, Pratamnak Rd. Daily, 08:00-01:00.
- Paintball Park, 248/10 Moo 12, Thep Prasit Rd, . Daily, 09:00-18:00. Decent field; helpful English speaking manager. 50 rounds ammo/~400 baht.
- Pattaya Kart Speedway (พัทยาคาร์ท สปีดเวย์), 248/2 Moo 12, Thep Prasit Rd(5 km from the centre of Pattaya to the south), . Daily, 09:00-18:00. A kart racing circuit where there are separate lanes for professionals and amateurs, and there is a separate "off-road" track. 250+ baht/10 mins.
- P.S. Bowling (junction of Central Pattaya Rd and Second Rd, above TOPS Supermarket), P.S. Plaza, . Daily, 11:00-02:00. 70-90 baht/person.
- Tiffany's Shooting Range, GF, Tiffany's Show Building, 464 Moo 9, Second Rd, . Daily, 09:00-21:00. The only indoor shooting range in Pattaya with 19 lanes. Minimum age 18.
- Video games. Video games are a popular pastime in Thailand, hence PlayStation and computer game shops are everywhere in Pattaya. The usual rate is 20 baht/hr, making for pretty cheap entertainment, but expect things to get very crowded and loud in the hours after school lets out. There's a big shop on Soi Chaiyaphum (right off Soi Buakhao across from Soi Diana Inn) that's open 24/7 and has more comfortable chairs. 20 baht/hr.
- Art in Paradise, Second Road Soi 1, North Pattaya. This is an “illusion” art museum that features ten galleries – the Camouflage Room, Under the Ocean Room, Wildlife Room, Classical Art Room, Civilization Room, Surrealism Room, Dinosaur Room, Waterfall Room, Scenery Room, and Exhibition of Art Room. Great place for any one who loves to snap selfies! 300 baht (180 for Thais).
Forest canopy zip lining
For those who want adventure combined with the experience of seeing a rain forest canopy, this adventure tour is ideal. It involves zip lining over the forest canopy and getting a thrill that is in a league of its own. The tour operates twice daily: one starting around 07:00 and the other around noon. Total time including travel is about 5 hours of which about 2–3 hours will be spent in the forest. Can be booked through one of the many tour operator shops or on-line at [www] Cost can vary from 2,100-2,500 baht depending on where you book, your ability to negotiate and the supply-demand situation.
- The Golf Club, 33/133 Soi L.K. Metro (Near Soi Diana and Soi Buakhao, about 100 m from Areca Lodge), . A popular sports bar & restaurant that runs regular golf competitions on M, Tu, Th, and F. They have contracts with the local courses and offer highly discounted green fees either through the Pattaya Sports Club or they can book your private tour of up to 120 golfers. They are the only bar golf society with a TAT License. Transportation, club rentals, free Wi-Fi and golf lockers are available. Have 4 rooms available to golfers and non-golfers alike, from 600-900 baht depending on room and season.
- The Mini Golf Pub, Thappraya Rd (On the left just past the flyover when headed to Jomtien). Daily, 10:00-23:00. 18 holes, refreshments available; their cat sometimes acts as a self-propelled obstacle. 100 baht/person.
- Pattaya City Golf (at the Nova Lodge Hotel on Beach Road, next to the junction with Pattaya Central Road). Daily, 09:00-01:00. 18 holes, plus chipping, driving and putting areas for the more serious golfer; refreshments served at the waterfront bar; caddy service available. 140 baht/person.
- Ko Khrok (or Krok). 2 km east of Ko Laan, is an isolated rocky islet with a single 100 metre stretch of sandy beach to the east, where visitors can see coral reefs.
- Ko Phai (หมู่เกาะไผ่ or Bamboo Island). Ko Phai, and other islands in the Ko Phai group, Ko Klung Badan (or Krung Badan), Ko Luam (or Leom), Ko Man Wichai and Ko Rin (or Lin) - are preferred destinations for scuba divers, and are also popular for general relaxation, fishing, swimming and snorkeling day trips. This area is controlled by the Royal Thai Navy, and overnight stays are not permitted. For a return speedboat charter from one of the mainland beaches or Bali Hai Pier (approx. 23 km/2 hours), expect to pay 2,500-4,000 baht; possibly less from Ko Laan.
- OneRoyale (Origin of Thai Traditional Massage), Central Rd (across from Leng Kee Restaurant, Central Pattaya Rd), . Clean, comfortable, and quiet atmosphere. Body massages include foot, Thai, oil, aroma, head/shoulder, and four hands. Also do body scrubs and sun burn treatment. Special treatments for ladies include: intimate repair treatment, vagina firming treatment, post-birth treatment, firming & anti-cellulite treatment. Water, tea or coffee afterwards.
- Serenity Massage (across from LK Pavilion, South Pattaya Rd and Third Rd), . One of the few massage shops in this section of Pattaya. It offers a clean, comfortable and quiet atmosphere inside, combined with talk and laughter with the girls outside. Massage services include foot, Thai, oil, powder, salt body scrub, aromatherapy, four hands massage and more. Water, tea or coffee afterwards. The overall experience is fun, unrushed and relaxing.
- Spa View (at the Mark-Land Hotel, Soi 1), . One of the largest massage and spa complexes in Pattaya, offering aromatherapy oil massage, herbal steam sauna, skin whitening treatment, body treatment with aloe vera herbal, mineral water treatment, body treatment with milk and honey, milk bath treatment, physical massage, foot massage, and others. Facial treatments include nail care and treatment, hand and foot therapy by soaking with herbal water, foot massage, facial massage, scrub, ozone, fruit skin treatment, lotion and others.
- Pattaya Muay Thai Academy (พัทยา มวยไทย สถานศึกษา เมืองพัทยา ประเทศไทย), Soi 7 North Rd (about a third of the way down Soi 7 from North Rd, on the left side.). A popular muay Thai camp that is open to everyone for fitness, self-defence and fighter training. The gym is fully matted, including a large open training area, a boxing ring, several punch and kick bags as well as fitness equipment. Accommodation is available in camp, the instructors are multilingual, free Wi-Fi for customers, and the option of fighting at muay Thai stadiums.
- Open Eyes Show (เปิดหู เปิดตาโชว์), 2F, Pattaya Bazaar, 266/52-53 North Pattaya Rd (opposite the Tiffany Show), . Daily, 15:00-23:00. "The Great Experience Behind The Magical", a lot of technological magic and illusion shows. It is a magic performance in various styles such as Aladdin, the Mermaid, Invisible Woman, the Wonderland, etc. 600 baht/adults, 300 baht/children.
- Tuxedo Magic Castle (ปราสาทเวทมนต์ ทักซิโด), 78/16-17 Pattaya Sai 2 Rd, . Daily, 19:00, 20:30, 22:00. It is a magic theatre in the form of a split-level restaurant. There are series of shows such as making an umbrella out of cards. 450 baht.
In June 2016, the Regional Environmental Office said, "The sea water along the busy central Pattaya beaches is of poor quality and could endanger human and marine life".
For those who choose to ignore the warning, speedboat-towed parachute rides are available along the main beaches, and in Pattaya Bay from several large floating platforms with speedboats ferrying customers out from the shore. Typically about 500 baht.
- Pattaya Lake Land Cable Ski, 90/1 Sukhumvit Rd Na Kluea. 09:00 - 18:00. Lake Land Cable Ski is a manmade, freshwater lake beside Sukhumvit Road, not far from Jomtien Beach. Water skiing and wakeboarding. 2 hours, 300 baht; all day, 500 baht.