Food & Restaurants in Queenstown
There are a huge variety of numerous eating establishments to be found in Queenstown, from all-hours takeaways to fine dining. Reservations for dinner are important at the best places most times of the year, and most nights of the week.
Due to the large number of restaurants, Queenstown is a culinary hub for New Zealand, and you will find regional produce such as pinot noir wine and Canterbury lamb on display in many of the restaurants. Fine restaurants also serve world-class seafood (local mussels, oysters and deep sea fish such as blue cod), game and red meat (farmed venison and beef).
There are also a number of wineries in the Gibbston Valley (20 minutes drive) with restaurants attached, most of which are open for lunch.
Budget food is a little harder to come by in Queenstown. There are a few small fish and chip shops, kebab joints, and the usual KFC and McDonald's. Your best bet if your looking to save a few dollars is to hit the supermarket. The other option is to wander around and check out daily specials on the sandwich boards of restaurants.
- Fergburger Takeaways, 42 Shotover St, Queenstown Central, . Daily 08:30-05:00. Legendary, large burgers, insanely busy most of the day.
- Fergbaker, Shotover St, next to Fergberger, serving pies, coffee and other bakery goods
- At Thai, Church Street, +64 3 442-3683 (Thai cuisine)
- Hamills Restaurant (casual dining) Remarkables Park, Frankton
- The Cow Pizza & Spaghetti House, Cow Lane +64 3 442-8588 (pizza)
- Fishbone Bar & Grill, 7 Beach St, . From 17:00.Queenstown's seafood restauarant, serving South Island fish & shellfish.
- The Lone Star, 14 Brecon St, . Su-Th from 16:30, Fr-Sa from 16:00. tex-mex, casual dining
- Minami Jujitsu (Japanese)
- Memories of Hong Kong, inside the mall near the casino (chinese)
- Skyline Queenstown Restaurant. Taste of New Zealand buffet offers delectable fresh seafood, salads, roast meats and delicious desserts.
- Winnies Gourmet Pizza bar, Upstairs, 7-9 The Mall (next to the cinema), . Competitor for the best pizzas in town, caters for everyone and family friendly (before the drinkers start to come in the evening)Splurge
- Botswana Butchery, 17 Marine Parade (On the waters edge), . A great restaurant with ambience, sensational service. The menu is extensive and specialises in meat. The whole leg of lamb for 2 could feed 3! The wine list is very good. Prices are at the higher end but sensational for a special occasion. They have smaller private room dinning opportunities as well as a great bar room for pre-dinner drinks.
- The Bathhouse Fine Restaurant, Esplanade +64 3 442-5625 (fine dining)
- The Bunker, Cow Lane +64 3 441-8030 (fine dining)
- Public Kitchen & Bar Steamer Wharf +64 3 442-5969 (previously Wai Waterfront Seafood Restaurant).