- PRICES LIST
- HOTELS (BEST RATED)
- HOTELS (BEST VALUE)
- SIGHTS & LANDMARKS
- MUSEUMS & GALLERIES
- THINGS TO DO
Krasnodar is a city and the administrative center of Krasnodar Krai,Russia, located on the Kuban River, approximately 148 kilometers (92 mi) northeast of the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.
The city is one the most important historical and cultural centers of Southern Russian and Northern Caucasus region. Krasnodar was founded in 1794 by the Black Sea Cossacks, under the guidance of Catherine the Great, to guard the southern border of the Russian Empire. It is located to the east of the Black Sea. The city has a population of 713,426 people, according to 2010 census, and it is more ethnically diverse than the Russian North, with many Georgians, Armenians, Chechens and Ossetians settling in the area over the years of political turmoil.
|TIME ZONE :||MSK (UTC+03:00)|
|COORDINATES :||45°02′N 38°58′E|
|SEX RATIO :||• Male: 47%|
• Female: 53%
|AREA CODE :||861|
|POSTAL CODE :||350000–350005, 350007, 350010–350012, 350014–350016, 350018–350020, 350033, 350035, 350038–350040, 350042, 350044, 350047, 350049, 350051, 350058, 350059, 350061–350067, 350072, 350075, 350078, 350080, 350086–350090, 350500, 350880, 350890, 350899–350901, 350910–350912, 350931, 350960, 350961, 350963–350965, 350991–350999|
|DIALING CODE :||+7 861|
|WEBSITE :||Official website|
Krasnodar is home to the steel lattice hyperboloid tower built by the Russian engineer and scientist Vladimir Grigorievich Shukhov in 1928; it is located near Krasnodar Circus.
Other attractions include St. Catherine's Cathedral, the State Arts Museum, a park and theater named after Maxim Gorky, the beautiful concert hall of the Krasnodar Philharmonic Society, which is considered to have some of the best acoustics in southern Russia, State Cossack Choir and the Krasnodar circus
The most interesting place in Krasnodar is Krasnaya Street (which translates as "Red, Beautiful Street"). There, there are situated many sights of Krasnodar. At the beginning of this street one can see the Central Concert Hall; at the other end one can see the Avrora cinema center. A "Triumphal Arch" is situated in the middle of Krasnaya Street.
Theater Square is home to the largest splash fountain in Europe. This fountain was officially inaugurated on September 25, 2011 along with the official ceremony to celebrate the City Day in Krasnodar.
The city originated in 1793 as a military camp, then as a fortress built by the Cossacks to defend imperial borders and to assert Russian dominion over Circassia, a claim which Ottoman Turkey contested. In the first half of the 19th century, Yekaterinodar grew into a busy center of the Kuban Cossacks, gaining official town status in 1867. By 1888 about 45,000 people lived in the city, which had become a vital trade center for southern Russia. In 1897 an obelisk commemorating the two-hundred-year history of the Kuban Cossacks (seen as founded in 1696) was erected in Yekaterinodar.
During the Russian Civil War(1917-1922) the city changed hands several times, coming successively under the control of the Red Army and of the Volunteer Army. Many Kuban Cossacks, as committed anti-Bolsheviks, supported the White Movement. Lavr Kornilov, a White general, captured the city on April 10, 1918, only to be killed a week later when a Bolshevik artillery shell blew up the farmhouse where he had set up his headquarters.
During World War II units of the German Army occupied Krasnodar between August 12, 1942 and February 12, 1943. The city sustained heavy damage in the fighting, but was rebuilt and renovated after the war. German forces, including Gestapo and "mobile SS execution squads", killed thousands of Jews, Communists, and "supposed Communist 'partisans.'" Shooting,hanging, burning, and even gas vans were used.
In the summer of 1943 the Soviets began trials, including of their own citizens, for collusion with the Nazis and for participation in war crimes. The first such trial took place at Krasnodar from July 14 to 17, 1943. The Krasnodar tribunal pronounced eight death sentences, which were summarily carried out in the city square in front of a crowd of about thirty thousand people.
Under the Köppen climate classification, Krasnodar has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa).
Winters are cold and damp, with unstable snow cover. The average temperature in January, the area's coldest month, is 1 °C (34 °F). Weather conditions in winter vary greatly in the city; temperatures can exceed 20 °C (68 °F) for a few days, but temperatures below −20 °C (−4 °F) are not uncommon for Krasnodar as the city is not protected by mountains from cold waves. Summers are typically hot, with a July average of 24.1 °C (75.4 °F).
The city receives 735 millimeters (28.9 in) of precipitation annually, fairly spread throughout the year. Extreme storms are rare in the Krasnodar area. Extreme temperatures have ranged from −32.9 to 40.7 °C (−27.2 to 105.3 °F), recorded on January 11, 1940 and July 30, 2000, respectively.
February 2, 2015 was beaten by the absolute temperature record for more than 70 years of observations. The air in the capital of the Kuban has warmed up to + 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit).
Climate data for Krasnodar
|Record high °C (°F)||20.8|
|Average high °C (°F)||4.4|
|Daily mean °C (°F)||0.6|
|Average low °C (°F)||−2.2|
|Record low °C (°F)||−32.9|
|Source #1: Pogoda.ru.net|
Krasnodar is the economic center of southern Russia. For several years,Forbes magazine named Krasnodar the best city for business in Russia. The industrial sector of the city has more than 130 large and medium-sized enterprises.
The main industries of Krasnodar:
- Agriculture and food industry: 42.8%
- Energy sector: 13.4%
- Fuel industry: 10.5%
- Machine construction: 9.4%
- Forestry and chemical industries: about 4%
Krasnodar is a highly developed commercial area, and has the largest annual turnover in the Southern Federal District of Russia. Retail trade turnover in 2010 reached 290 billion rubles. Per capita, Krasnodar has the highest number of malls in Russia. Note that in the crisis year 2009 turnover of Krasnodar continued to grow, while most of the cities showed a negative trend in the sale of goods.
Krasnodar has the lowest unemployment rate among the cities of the Southern Federal District at 0,3% of the total working-age population. In addition, Krasnodar holds the first place in terms of highest average salary - 21,742 rubles per capita.
Tourism comprises a large part of Krasnodar's economy. There are more than 80 hotels in Krasnodar. The Hilton Garden Inn, opened in 2013, is the first world-class hotel in the city.
Prices in Krasnodar
MARKET / SUPERMARKET
|Beer (domestic)||0.5 l||€0.70|
|Bottle of Wine||1 bottle||€4.50|
|Dinner (Low-range)||for 2||€16.00|
|Dinner (Mid-range)||for 2||€28.00|
|Dinner (High-range)||for 2||€|
|Mac Meal or similar||1 meal||€4.25|
|Beer (Imported)||0.33 l||€1.55|
|Beer (domestic)||0.5 l||€0.70|
|Coctail drink||1 drink||€4.50|
|Men’s Haircut||1 haircut||€5.50|
|Mobile (prepaid)||1 min.||€0.04|
|Pack of Marlboro||1 pack||€1.05|
|Toilet paper||4 rolls||€0.70|
CLOTHES / SHOES
|Jeans (Levis 501 or similar)||1||€72.00|
|Dress summer (Zara, H&M)||1||€25.00|
|Sport shoes (Nike, Adidas)||1||€58.00|
|Local Transport||1 ticket||€0.25|
34 € per day
Estimated cost per 1 day including:
- meals in cheap restaurant
- public transport
- cheap hotel
79 € per day
Estimated cost per 1 day including:
- mid-range meals and drinks
Transportation - Get In
To fly directly to Krasnodar from abroad, you can use Austrian Airlines (from Vienna) or Pegasus Airlines (from Istanbul) with flights landing in Krasnodar International Airport (IATA: KRR) [www] and thus bypassing the Moscow hub in Sheremetyevo International Airport. This option is usually more expensive and most travelers opt for cheaper flights with Moscow layovers, the cheapest of which are Skyexpress or Aeroflot. When flying through Moscow, you have to change between international and domestic terminals of Sheremetyevo Airport.
Transportation - Get Around
By public transportation
Krasnodar has a dense network of trams, trolleybuses, city buses, taxis, the boat across the Kuban river and, a uniquely Eastern European road feature of “marshrutkas”, which is a hybrid between a taxi and a minibus. Hitchhiking is also common. Trams, buses, and trolleys are more popular modes of travel because they are public and relatively cheap with a single pass costing 20 rubles (~$0.40 USD) and a monthly pass for 400 rubles (~$13 USD) as per single type of transportation. Some people choose to opt out of using trams, buses and trolleys because they have a tendency to be packed during rush hours of morning and evening as well as not sticking to schedule during times of heavy rain or snow. For times like these, taxis and marshrutkas are always available at a higher fee. One in three native Krasnodarians own a personal vehicle.
- BEST RATED -
- BEST VALUE -
- Vostochniy Rinok, 161 Stasova St. This outdoor assortment of booths offers the best in fresh produce and other domestic products. Be prepared to haggle/bargain, especially over non-produce items.
- Galaktika, 182 Stasova St (#10 tram north to the end of the line (Khladokombinat stop)). A more Western-style shopping experience. Galaktika includes hundreds of clothing stores, sports stores, computer stores, and an "Okey" store (which is comparable to a Walmart). Galaktika also features an aquarium, a respectable food court, and other diversions.
Krasnodar has many restaurants, pubs, eateries, sushi bars, hookah bars, pizzerias, coffee/tea houses and fast food places. The predominant Krasnodar cuisine is a mix of south Russian, Georgian, Armenian and Greek flavors with emphasis on fresh local grown produce minimally spiced and mostly flavored by parsley, dill and cilantro.
- Lubo-Dorogo. A popular local cafe chain. Appetizers: RUB90-280; Main courses: RUB150-350; Desserts: RUB70-110.
There are several American fast food restaurants including Subway (5/2 Zipovskaya St, 149 Krasnaya St, 39 Krainyaya St, 38 Mira St), McDonald's (100 Dzerzhinsky St), and KFC (104 Uralskaya St)
- Borshberry, Krasnaya St 182. A great place to have borsch and beer.
- Kinza, Krasnykh Partizan 204. Creative Russian cuisine.
- Stan, Kubanskaya Naberezhnaya St 15 (Along the river), . Traditional food and atmosphere. Live traditional music. Food prepared on an open fire.
- Skotina, Suvorova St 64, . Meat restaurant ans steakhouse with a great selection of wines and craft beers.
Sights & Landmarks
Krasnaya (Red) Street is the main street of the city. Part of the street is closed to vehicles during evenings, when it becomes the center of nightlife.
Theater Square has largest splash fountain in Europe.
- Monument to Catherine the Great
- Sculpture of Walking Dogs - Mira 35 - Built in 2007, it was inspired by a famous Russian poet that commented on the number of dogs in Krasnodar.
- Monument to Shurik and Lida
- Monument of Cossacks writing a letter to the Turkish Sultan
- Monument to Kuban Cossacks
- Monument Avrora
- Monument A.S. Pushkin
- Obelisk In Honor Of The 200th Anniversary Of The Kuban Cossack Army
- I.E. Repin Monument
- Monument A.V. Suvorov
- St. Catherine's Cathedral
- Alexander Nevskiy Cathedral
- St. George's Church
- St. Elijah Church
- Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Chapel of Alexander Nevskiy
- Church of St. Nicholas
- Church of the Holy Libor
- St. Kazan Church
Museums & Galleries
- The Krasnodar Regional Art Museum Of Kovalenko, 13 Krasnaya St, (861) 262-95-04.
- Krasnodar Regional Showroom of Fine Arts. Includes many famous works of Kuban and Russian and European artists from as early as 16th century.
- Museum of Military Technologies Oruzhie Pobedy, v. Popular with kids that like to climb on the tanks.
Things to do
Climb the steel lattice hyperboloid tower built by Vladimir Grigorievich Shukhov in 1928. The tower likely wouldn't pass a safety inspection in most first world countries, but it is the best place to get a view of the city. The tower is near the circus.
- Rozhdestvenskiy Park of Culture and Leisure
- The Solnechny Ostrov (Sunny Island) Park
- Safari Park - Includes a zoo, but the animals are treated poorly
- Chistyakovskiy Grove Park
- Botanical Garden of Professor I. S. Kosenko
- City Botanical Garden
- Park of the 30th anniversary of the Victory
- City Park of Culture and Leisure
- Marshal Zhukov's Park
- Training Botanical Garden
- Park Druzhby
- Lynx Zoo
Most are on Krasnaya Street
- Drama Theatre - Gorky, Ploshchad' Oktjabr'skoj Revoljucii, 2.
- Children’s Puppet Theatre
- Philharmonic Hall
- Operetta Theatre
- Avrora Kino, Krasnaya St 169. Built in 1967. Two movie screens, including one with a capacity of 1,200. Also includes a cafe and pizzeria.
Around 20 entertainment complexes are open 24 hours/day. These complexes usually include bowling alleys, shopping centers, video arcades, casinos, and restaurants.
Water amusement parks
- Ocean Park Aquarium, 161 Stasova St, inside Galaktika Mall. A 3,000 square meter aquarium. There are several tanks of fish to look at, including a tunnel-tank that patrons can walk under, allowing tiny sharks to swim over your head. It is best to visit during feeding time when the carnivorous fish make a gruesomely interesting scene. Be sire to feed the turtles in the koi pond -Use the RUB10 vending machine to purchase fish food. RUB400.
Many popular bars are clustered off the southern end of Krasnaya (Red) Street.
- Amsterdambar, Krasnoarmeyskaya ul. 64, .
- Grey Bear Pub, Stavropolskaya St 133. The slogan here is 'beer, beef, and sport'.
- Killfish, Krasnoarmeyskaya ul. 52, .
- McKey Pub & Restaurant, Krasnykh Partizan 218, . Irish pub with a great atmosphere and beer selection.
- Mr. Drunke Bar, Krasnoarmeyskaya ul. 58, .
- Sgt. Pepper's Bar, ul. Chapaeva 94, .