Things to see
San Marino’s main attractions are the three towers, which feature on the national flag. Only the Guaita Tower and the Cesta Tower are open to visitors, and they are small castles at the top of Mount Titano and offering excellent views over San Marino and Italy as well as the Adriatic Sea.
Cesta is the larger of the two and has a small museum of armour and weapons. You can purchase the “Yellow Card” for €3 which lets you enter one castle, or the “Red Card” which lets you enter both and is €4.50. Between the two towers is a path which follows the city walls along the side of a cliff. There are good photo opportunities of the towers. Other attractions include:
- Piazza del Liberta. This small square offers expansive views and is flanked on both sides by two government buildings, including the Palazzo Pubblico, the town hall.
- State Museum (Museo di Stato), Piazzetta del Titano, 1, Città di San Marino, , e-mail: [email protected]. Summer 8AM–8PM, winter 9AM–5PM. Museum of art, architecture, and archaeology. €3.
- St. Francis' Museum (Museo San Francesco), Via Basilicius, Città di San Marino, . Summer 8AM–8PM, winter 9AM–5PM. Art collection located in a centuries-old cloister. €3.
- Torture Museum (Museo della Tortura), Contrada San Francesco n° 2, . 10AM–8PM daily during the summer; reduced hours in the winter. Small, kitschy museum catering to tourists
- Wax Museum (Museo delle Cere), via Lapicidi Marini, 17 - 47890 San Marino, , e-mail: [email protected]. Oct–Mar 9AM–12:30PM and 2–5:30PM, Apr–Jun and Sep 9AM–6:30PM, Jul–Aug 9AM–8PM.
Otherwise, simply walk around! The narrow cobbled streets are full of surprises and you can go up and down the city to explore. There are virtually no cars and the streets have a very medieval feel. You can climb the city walls and walk along it at places. Some sights you may see include Basilica di San Marino, a Roman styled church.
Outside of the capital, nearby Borgo Maggiore has a historic centre. You can also see the San Marino lake in Faetano where fish can be caught.