Shopping in Calgary
- Eau Claire Market, 200 Barclay Parade (corner of 2 St and 2 Ave SW), . M-W, Sa 10AM-6PM, Th-F 10AM-8PM, Su 11AM-5PM. A unique market-style mall with interesting shops, restaurants and cinemas. The mall has recently (2014) begun an extensive, multi-year redevelopment.
- Inglewood. Centered on Atlantic Avenue (9 Ave SE), east of the Elbow River, this quirky neighbourhood is almost devoid of chain businesses (save maybe a Starbucks), leaving a sea of unique businesses. The highlights are the coffee shops, art galleries, trendy clothiers, and upscale furniture shops. This is arguably Calgary's best urban shopping area. Inglewood is also an historic district, and a downloadable self-guided walking tour is available.
- Stephen Avenue Walk, 8 Ave S between 1 St SE and 4 St SW.Stephen Avenue Walk is a pedestrianized section of 8 Ave SW in the heart of Calgary's downtown core. It is home mostly to restaurants and some bars, but you will still find some major retail shops fronting it. Stephen Avenue is also home to most of the downtown mall called the Core. Stephen Avenue is also a Canadian National Historic District. A downloadable self-guided walking tour is available.
- 17th Ave (Uptown 17). Calgary's best-known urban business street is home to chains like Best Buy and Pet Planet, and independent businesses like Gravity Pope. If you're dropping from all the shopping, the heart of the strip is little Tomkins Park at 17th Ave near 8th St, filled with nice shade and cozy benches.
- Kensington Village. Centered on 10 Street NW and Kensington Road NW, Kensington is home to art galleries, fashion retailers, and antiques. It is somewhat more upscale than say Stephen Avenue Walk or Inglewood, but not in a snobby way.
- Chinook Centre, 6455 Macleod Trail SW (Macleod Trail at 58 Ave S, near Chinook C-Train station). M-F 9:30AM-9PM, Sa-Su 11:00AM-7PM. Calgary's largest indoor mall and one of the best shopping experiences in the city for variety and amount of retail shops. An extension opened in 2010. Check out the "flying" sculptures in the food court!
- CrossIron Mills, 261055 CrossIron Blvd, Rocky View, AB (10 minutes north of the city on Highway 2 (Deerfoot Trail)), . This large indoor mall is in the neighbouring hamlet of Balzac, north of Calgary. Similar in format to other "mills" malls, it opened in 2009 with many well-known stores and outlets as the first new enclosed mall to be built in the Calgary area in a generation. Construction on an expansion will begin in 2015. Plan on driving; it's the only way to get there.
- Crowfoot Crossing Shopping Centre, Crowfoot Way at Nose Hill Drive NW. Crowfoot is a very large outdoor shopping centre (power centre) located in NW Calgary.
- Deerfoot Mall (Deerfoot Outlet Mall), At Deerfoot Trail and 64 Ave NE. Anchor tenants include Wal-Mart Supercentre, Winners, and Sport Chek. Outlet stores include Bowling Depot, Bianca Amor's Liquidation Supercentre, Laura Outlet, and Lammle's Western Wear Outlet. Deerfoot Mall began a 5-year redevelopment and renovation plan in November 2013.
- Deerfoot Meadows, Heritage Dr SE at 11 St SE (Take Deerfoot Trail southbound to the Southland Drive exit or northbound to the Heritage Drive exit). This sprawling outdoor shopping centre (power centre) includes big box stores like Ikea, Best Buy, Michael's, Real Canadian Superstore and Future Shop.
- Market Mall, 3625 Shaganappi Trail NW. M-F 10AM-9PM, Sa 9:30AM-8PM, Su 11AM-6PM. In the northwest, near the University of Calgary. This very large indoor mall also has a playground inside for pre-schoolers.
- Signal Hill Shopping Centre, Near the junction of Glenmore Trail, Highway 8 and Sarcee Trail. A large outdoor shopping centre (power centre) in SW Calgary. Located just north of the very similar Westhills Shopping Centre.
- Southcentre Mall, 100 Anderson Road SE (At Macleod Trail and Anderson Road, a five minute walk from the Anderson C-Train LRT station.). M-F 9:30AM-9PM, Sa 9:30AM-8PM, Su 11AM-6PM. A very large indoor mall in south Calgary.
- Westhills Shoppping Centre (junction of Glenmore Trail, Highway 8 and Sarcee Trail). A large outdoor mall (power centre) in SW Calgary. Includes a small outdoor toddler playground in the southernmost part of the shopping centre, near Plum. Located next to (just south of) the very similar Signal Hill Shopping Centre.
- Calgary Farmers' Market, 510 77 Ave SE (Just off of Blackfoot Trail and Heritage Drive SE), , e-mail:[email protected]. Th-Su 9AM-5PM. Market with 75 vendors providing a variety of products such as fresh local meat and produce, art, organic goods and jewelry. There is also a large food court with two outdoor patios. The market includes special events like storytelling, demonstrations, dance shows and live music.
- Crossroads Market, 1235 26 Ave SE(Blackfoot Trail and Ogden Rd), .Indoor Market: F-Su 9AM-5PM, Outdoor Market: F-Su 8AM-5PM (summer). Less than 5 minutes from downtown with ample free parking, Crossroads Markets is located in an eclectic 100,000 square foot historical building. Crossroads Market is home to a flea market, antique market, indoor farmer`s market, international food fair and a seasonal outdoor farmer's market.
- Hillhurst-Sunnyside Farmers' Market, 1320 5 Ave NW (Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre), , e-mail:[email protected]. 3PM-7PM every W, late May/early Jun to early Oct; Nov-May first W of month only.
- Hillhurst-Sunnyside Flea Market, 1320 5 Ave NW (Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre), . Su 7AM-3PM.
- Market on Macleod (Kingsland Farmers Market), 7711 Macleod Trail S (West side of Macleod Trail, north of Heritage Dr). Th-Su 9AM-5PM. Year-round indoor farmers' market with a variety of vendors.
Farmers' Markets in Calgary Area
- Calgary Bearspaw Farmers' Market, 25240 Nagway Rd(Bearspaw Lions Hall – Take Crowchild Trail (Highway 1A) west from Calgary to Bearspaw Rd, just west of the Calgary city limits. Turn north onto Bearspaw Rd and immediately east onto Nagway Rd, Bearspaw Lions Hall is on the north side), , e-mail:[email protected]. Jun-Sep: Su 10AM-2PM; also open pre-Christmas. The small community of Bearspaw in Rocky View County is just a few minutes west of the Calgary city limits.
- Cochrane Farmers' Market, Cochrane Ranche Historic Site parking lot (near junction of Hwy 1A & Hwy 22), , e-mail: [email protected]. Jun-Sep: Sa 9AM-1PM. The town of Cochrane is roughly 30 minutes west of Calgary via Crowchild Trail (Hwy 1A) or 16th Ave NW (Hwy 1, Trans-Canada Hwy).
- Strathmore Farmers' Market, Strathmore Exhibition Grounds, . Jun-Sep: F 3PM-6:30PM. The town of Strathmore is roughly 40 minutes east of Calgary on Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy). Indoor Mother's Day Market near the end of Apr, outdoor market every Friday from mid-June to mid-Sep, indoor Christmas market last Saturday in November.
- Millarville Farmers' Market, Millarville Race Track (20 minutes south of Calgary), Millarville, . Jun-Nov: Sa 9AM-2PM. The hamlet of Millarville is roughly 45 minutes SW of Calgary. Millarville holds the largest farmers market in Southern Alberta, with fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, home-baked pies, cut and potted flowers, crafts and original jewelry and artwork. Take some time to enjoy free entertainment, grab some breakfast, or browse the craft stands and chat with the artists.
- Alberta Boot Company, 50 50 Ave SE, . M-Sa 9AM-6PM. Get the right gear for the Stampede with the only manufacturer of Western boots in Alberta. Custom orders are available.
- Crown Surplus, 1005 11 St SE (Inglewood), .M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM, Sa noon-5PM. Calgary's oldest (only?) army surplus store, Crown Surplus occupies a quonset hut and several adjoining buildings. A good place to look for camping and hunting gear, with plenty of military memorabilia on display. Where else can you buy a 100' diameter parachute
- Daily Globe News Shop, 1004 17 Ave SW, .9AM-9PM daily. International newspapers and magazines.
- Fair's Fair Books, 1609 – 14 St SW, . Tu-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su-M 10AM-6PM. Main shop for this Calgary chain of second hand book stores. Other stores are in Inglewood, Ranchlands, Macleod Trail, and near Chinook Centre.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op, 830 10 Ave SW, . M-W 10AM-7PM, Th-F 10AM-9PM, Sa 9AM-6PM, Su 11AM-5PM.Good place to get outdoor equipment and clothing before heading out to the Rockies. They're all about self-propelled outdoor activities, so expect to find gear for climbing, canoeing, cycling, and kaying, but don't expect to find gear for water skiing, downhill skiing, or snowmobiling. Sales are only to members, but it's just $5 for a lifetime membership.
- Smithbilt Hats, 1103 12 St SE (in Inglewood, near Festival Hall), . M-Th 9AM-5PM, F 8AM-4:30PM. The manufacturer of Calgary's famous white cowboy hat also makes other felt and straw hat styles.
Canada - Travel guide