Things to do in San Jose
The main downtown area is a bustling collection of well-laid out streets filled with bustling traffic and lined with eclectic, historic architecture. On the surface it is a gritty downtown area, but look inside and you'll find friendly people, quirky spots, and the historic side of San José that change your impression. A walking tour is the best way to see this area.
- Costa Rica Golf Day Tours (Tours to Valle del Sol, Cariari and Marriott Los Suenos), (732) 917-0177. 7AM-4PM. Valle del Sol:$110, Cariari $110, Marriott Los Suenos: $225. All prices include hotel pickup and green fees.
There are a lot of other tours and local events and doings in and from San José. Some include:
- 3 in One
- Butterfly farm
- Coffee farm
- Canopy tours
- Rafting* Rios Tropicales (Whitewater tours from San Jose and other areas of Costa Rica).
- Buses to volcano Poas leave from Parque La Merced at 08:30AM daily (2990 colones).
- Buses to volcano Irazú leave at 8AM daily on Av. 2 in front of the National Theater (50 km, 2 h, 4000 colones return) and return at 12:30PM from the National Park. Park entrance fee for foreigners only: $US10 / 5020 colones, a bit overpriced but the view is nice.
- La Paz Waterfall Gardens An hour away from San José you can find lovely trails through primary rainforest that take you past five beautiful waterfalls. The La Paz water fall gardens also offer a hummingbird gallery, serpentarium, frog exhibit and large butterfly observatory.
- Every Thursday a dozens of young jugglers gather at the Parque Morazan and juggle together. Often with percussion music. It s a free event in public space. Normally you will be invited to play with them. Lovely experience if you like street art.
- Yoga. Costa Rica is a top destination for yoga. In San Jose, check out Downtown Yoga near Parque Morazan, which offers accessibly priced yoga and hooping classes for all experience levels. [www]
- Valle del Sol, Santa Ana (In the Lindora area next to Forum Park.), .
- TTCR Golf Tour (San José), 866 448 3182. 7AM-10AM. Specialized golf transportation to/from San José area hotels and Marriott Los Suenos course. Reserve online for a $160 rate (2 person min.) including transportation.
- Gym. Decent gym facilities can be found at the Spa Corobici (telephone: 231-5542) located behind the Hotel Corobici. The taxi ride from the airport is approximately $10 - $20 USD and entry into the gym is 5,300 CRC or $10 USD. The club has a good selection of free and machine weights as well as a cardio theater. The club also has an outdoor swimming pool for lap swimming, a Jacuzzi tub, and a sauna.
- Casinos Many hotels have gaming. The most famous for the single traveler is Casino del Rey.