Tourism in the Dominican Republic
Tourism in the Dominican Republic is an industry that generates over 5 million arrivals each year. It is an important source of revenue in the country, particularly in coastal areas. The Dominican Republic is the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean region, and ranks 6th overall in the Americas. Its tropical climate, white sand beaches, diverse mountainous landscape, and colonial history attracts visitors from around the world.
As one of the most geographically diverse nations in the region, the Dominican Republic is home to the Caribbean's tallest mountain peak, Pico Duarte, as well as the largest lake and lowest elevation, Lake Enriquillo. The country is also the site of the first cathedral, castle, monastery, and fortress built in all of the Americas, located in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone, an area declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Tourism in the 2000s until 2009
The country's tourism has become the primary industry of income for itself and his major provinces, dedicated to this industrial activity. The country offers a wide choice of accommodations in the city, in the mountains and in the hotels of coastal shorebirds. The Dominican Republic is one of the top vacation places for the countries of the European continent, North America US and Canada and also the countries of South America. This is because the island has a rich history and unique culture, and its people so welcoming and friendly. Also for its great Caribbean beaches and its tropical and unique climate.
The main areas of tourist activity in the country are the regions of the East, North, Santo Domingo and Barahona, but nevertheless, there has been an increase in the interior, with many tours on foot or by bike through the mountains and fields. In 2001 the Dominican Republic was visited by over two million people. According to the Central Bank, the Dominican tourism industry has generated in that year, an amount of 2,103 million dollars, which is equivalent to 18%, exceeding the figure achieved in the previous year, which had a figure of 1,782 million.
According to Central Bank figures, more than 2.5 million tourists arrived by air to the country in 2001, a 10.1% increase over the figure given in 2000. 58% of tourists came from European countries, mostly countries like Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and USA, were recorded countries like the United States, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina and among others.
Tourism is one of the most important sectors of the Dominican economy, because this makes great contributions to it. The movements of tourists to other parts of the country involving expenditure, especially when is from a nation to another, that is the case of the country; Foreign tourists usually consume in dollars or exchange their currency for the Dominican peso, this generates an injection of dollars into the economy and thus the country can buy the services and products that do not produce. The country had revenues in 2004 of 2.557 million euros.
The Dominican Republic, thanks to its geographical location in the Caribbean, has many areas that are exploited for tourism, because of the beautiful beaches that have, as well as its beautiful scenery. The most exploited provinces in terms of tourism are concerned, after the era of Trujillo, are Puerto Plata, La Romana and La Altagracia, also worth noting that the del Este peninsula, is the country's most important tourist area.
Dominican tourism is an issue that is part of the daily lives of its citizens, because it depends largely on the economic livelihood of the same, and their way of life.
Major tourist destinations of the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is internationally known as "The paradise of the Caribbean" and so, because the whole country is beautiful, both its beaches and mountains, which have a unique natural landscape.
Among the main tourist destinations are:
- La Altagracia
It is the leading province in the country in terms of tourism, among the most important areas are:
- Bávaro: This area is located in the east of the Dominican Republic, in the province La Altagracia. According to a report by UNESCO, it recognizes the beaches of Bávaro as the best in the world, so much so that it is along with the beaches of Punta Cana, among the 10 best in the world, Among its more popular and entertaining attractions of the area is the Manatí Park Bávaro, as well as its luxury hotels.
- Higüey: The city of Higüey is within the tourist destinations in the province, since it is found, the Basilica of Our Lady of Altagracia and Sanctuary San Dionisio; also is the fortified residence of its founder, Juan Ponce de León, which is so visited by foreign tourists and communes and more inhabitants of the country.
- Punta Cana: This resort area of the country is located in the extreme east of the Dominican Republic, and an important part of the main destinations of the world, the country, the region, the province, in conclusion, it is one of the most important places for the realization of the tourism in the country, as Punta Cana is the place where have the most famous beaches in the country. To get to Punta Cana, it can perform in vehicle through the corridor of 179 kilometers long, consisting of the sections of the highway of Las Américas, the Eastern Highway, the Ring of San Pedro de Macorís, the stretch San Pedro de Macorís-La Romana, La Romana Beltway and the Autopista del Coral; Similarly one can go via the Las Américas International Airport, or via the Punta Cana International Airport, which is about 2 km from the town of Punta Cana, where are numerous and luxury 5 star hotels, which enjoy great international prestige. Punta Cana is considered one of the biggest tourist attraction magnets of the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean, as with its more than 50 km of beaches, a hotel infrastructure of excellence and top, also has an international airport size, facilities for all sports, from sailing trips, boats, dinghies, etc., to the benefits of some of the best golf courses in the Caribbean.
- La Romana
- La Romana: One of the main options for foreign tourists when choosing a destination for their holidays. La Romana has many beaches. To get to La Romana, it can through the La Romana International Airport. Some hotels in La Romana include: Casa de CampoGran Bahía Príncipe La Romana, Hotel Frano, Dejavue and others, also has a luxury spa, which is La Romana Hotel-Spa. Information about Casa de Campo
- Altos de Chavón: It is an old-type Mediterranean village built on a height above the Chavón Riverin Dominican Republic. It is the seat of a Cultural Centre, the National Archaeological Museum, and the called City of the Artists. also has an Notable Amphitheater. There is the famous Altos de Chavón Amphitheater, which has about 5,000 seats. It was opened in 1982 with the presentation of Frank Sinatra and Carlos Santana, many other artists and rock bands have gone through this beautiful scenery as Heart, English Beat, America, Tania Maria, Scandal, Sergio Mendes, Juan Luis Guerra, Michel Camilo, Spiro Gyra, Duran Duran, Aventura, among others. Currently there continue to be throughout the year shows of national and international artists, which tourists can enjoy.
- Saona Island: The Saona Island is considered as one of the most important trips or sightseeing tours of the country It is considered by the visitor as a natural paradise. Saona Island is about 110 kmª, and is the largest of the 13 adjacent islands of the country. This island offers fine white sand beaches, crystal clear waters. One of the biggest attractions is the "Natural Pool", which does not have a meter deep and it can see aquatic species such as coral reefs, marine meadowss, starfish and fish. The main white sand beaches of Isla Saona are located on the southern coast from Punta Catuano to Punta de Cruz except the area between the southern end of the beach of El Gato to Punta Laguna. The most important places of the Saona are the towns and villages of Mano Juan and Catuano; extensive white sand beaches and coral reefs with very clear waters; coconut trees along the coast, the Secucho lagoons, Los Flamencos and Canto de la Playa, the most beautiful beach, the Alto de la Vigía (the highest point of the island); the Banks of Crowned Pigeon, the Mature Timberlands, cultivated areas and the town of Adamanay.
Saona island belongs to the Park del Este. Along with los Haitises is the most important in the region and one of the main in the country, constituting the only wooded area of relative extension on the south coast of the eastern region. In this protected natural area are preserved semi-humid forests, coastal lagoons, mangroves, coral reefs, sea grasses. Also caverns with cultural values. Contains impressive archaeological sites like remains of indigenous settlements, ceremonial places perfectly preserved, sites of ceremonial offerings, large rock art and sunken colonial ships.
- Catalina Island: This island is a protected natural park where there are not any buildings.
- Bayahibe: Bayahibe is also suitable for sharing with family and friends, and is also a common place for golfers and for those who enjoy scuba diving. Bayahibe is the nearest point to take a trip to Catalina Island, Catalinita Island and Saona Island.
Bayahibe has many hotels such as: Catalonia Gran Dominicus, Oasis Canoa, Iberostar Hacienda, Viva Dominicus Beach y Palace, Dreams Romana.
- Juan Dolio: It is located just a few kilometers from the capital city of Santo Domingo and from San Pedro de Macoris. Juan Dolio is currently among the major tourist areas of the country. The town of Juan Dolio is thick with tourism and between its boundaries are several beaches being the most famous the same that bears its name: the beach of Juan Dolio. Juan Dolio Beach is one of the favorite beaches of the tourism sector and national and foreign vacationers. Juan Dolio has access to a good amount of high quality hotels and a wide range of seafood restaurants, clubs, Los Marlins golf course and rent cars services. Hotels in the area of Juan Dolio have all-included packages, a la carte and buffet restaurants, modern spas, trained animation teams, water sports facilities, tour packages and many other elements that make a pleasant stay at the best prices. Among the hotels that are in Juan Dolio they are: Barcelo Colonia Tropical, Barcelo Talanquera, Decameron Beach Resort, Coral Costa Caribe, Barcelo Capella, and five-star luxury hotel Embassy Suites.
- Santo Domingo: It is known worldwide as "First City of America, the cradle of civilization of New World", and that is, Santo Domingo. It is a place, that at explore its main tourist area, the Colonial Zone, as its streets, hiding big secrets, as well as its historical monuments, which in its most were built by the Spaniards Santo Domingo. Has many hotels such as the Hotel Jaragua, Barceló Santo Domingo, Hotel Hilton, Hotel Meliá Santo Domingo, Intercontinental Hotel V Centenario Hotel Hispaniola Hotel Santo Domingo, Napolitano Hotel, Hotel Delta, Clarion Hotel, Hotel Ambassador, Hotel Intercontinental V Centenario, Hotel Hispaniola, Hotel Santo Domingo, Hotel El Napolitano, Hotel Delta, Hotel Clarion, Hotel Occidental El Embajador, among other of great national prestige and interncacional
- Boca Chica: It is one of the most popular places in the Dominican Republic, due to its beach, which is visited by all kinds of tourists, whether domestic or foreign. It is located about 30 kilometers and 25 minutes from Santo Domingo eastward passing the Las Américas International Airport. The beach is surrounded by a large coral reef, has a turquoise blue and the water does not cover up to about a kilometer inside. Sometimes if the tide is low and permits it can walk to an island called "La Matica".
North Region or Cibao
- Puerto Plata
- Puerto Plata (city)
- Playa Dorada
- Playa Cofresí
- Samaná (town)
- Las Terrenas
- La Vega
- La Vega (city)
- María Trinidad Sánchez
- Río San Juan
- Barahona (city)
- Azua (city)