Food & Restaurants in Lilongwe
There are many local cafes, especially in Area 2, serving cheap meals such as rice/chicken/nsmia/beef.
Shoprite and Spar also have deli counters with hot food, sandwiches and a bakery.
- Sana Opposite Diplomats pub, sells meals such as curry, pizza, burgers, etc. Good quality for price.
- Chicken Inn Next to Shoprite. Like KFC and surprisingly very good quality. Good chips, and sells ice cream.
- Bohemia Cafe, along the road from Don Brioni's. Open for breakfast and lunch. Light meals (breakfast, toasted sandwiches, baked potato, quiche), fresh fruit juice, very good tea and coffee and great cakes. About $5 for a sandwich, a cup of tea and a cake.
- Korea Garden Lodge, 5 minutes walk from Mabuya Camp, Mufusa Lodge or old town. Hotel serving Korean food in the restaurant. Mixed reviews. Around USD30 for a double with shared bathroom, USD55 for one with ensuite (July 2013). The wifi they give you is very slow. At this moment it's better to use the KGL-ZyXEL network with WPA-code: kglogde1 (yes, with the typo).
- Kiboko Town Restaurant, Newly reopened with new design, menu and bar. A very good, reasonably priced place to eat. Play area for the children and good bar too. Regular live acoustic music is played here too. Good place to interact with guests and meet local expats.
- Four Seasons, in new town, is a lovely set of restaurants and small shops set in beautifully kept gardens. An excellent Indian restaurant called Blue Ginger with prices ranging from around 1500-2200 kwacha for curries, there is also another restaurant offering pastas, salads and steaks all reasonably priced. You'll probably need to drive, its located just near the Capital Sunbird Hotel in the Government District. But well worth the trip - there's also a great bar serving some lethal cocktails!
- Spur, Newly opened South African chain restaurant. Sells steaks, burgers etc. Sells good ice cream, milkshakes and soda floats too! Muslim run - so no pork is served.
- Chilli Peppers, An Italian/Mexican themed restaurant up the road past Sunbird Lilongwe in Old Town. Very good place, about MK1500-2000 for a main meal. Nachos, fajita's and the pizza's are all good dishes. Pasta and meat dishes not their speciality, but they do it well.
- Game complex, Behind the Galito's, Creamy Inn and Pizza Inn complex is Papaya. A nice day time cafe with milkshakes, smoothies and tea/coffee. Sells nachos, wraps and other light bites.
- Crossroads complex, Here there is the South African fast food chain Steers (burgers, chips) and Pizza Inn. There's also Cappucino's - a good small cafe offering day time meals and good breakfasts. Plenty of tea, coffee and iced coffee too.
- Country Lodge, 5 minute drive. From Mabuya Camp. Offers very good Indian and Chinese food. You can also ring up, place and order and have a takeaway (picking it up yourself mind you).
- Noble China, On the first turn off after Sunbird Lilongwe in Old Town. Sells good quality Chinese food. Idea is to order different meals and share - the centre of the table rotates around in order to easily swap dishes around.
- Mamma Mia, Old Town Mall. Lilongwe's fanciest Italian restaurant, much favored by the expat community so reservations strongly advised on weekends. Real Italian pizza, pasta and more, but expect to pay over K2000/head (US$20) for a full meal with a glass of wine, and food quality is a little uneven.
- Don Brioni's Bistro, next to the Old Town post office. Serving pizza, pasta, steaks and daily specials. Good food in generous quantities. $10 for a main dish.
- Blue Ginger, situated within Pacific Parade shopping complex, Area 10. Considered the best Indian in Lilongwe.
- Game complex, Next to Game there's South African chains off Galito's (similar to Nando's), Creamy Inn (ice cream, milkshakes, waffles etc.) and Pizza Inn (with buy one get one free on Tuesday's). All located in the same building. Merely a splurge because it's hard to resist the lure of an ice cream or milkshake after your meal. Around MK2000-2500 per person, Galito's being the cheapest.
If you're not feeling eating out, there's also a pizza delivery service run from Debonairs at Crossroads. 0991630464/0993810397. Between MK900 for small to MK2400 for large pizzas. Also offer hot subs. Minimum delivery is normally MK4400.
FLIGHTS & HOTELS
- We have access to a global database of flights by 728 airlines and 200 flight booking agencies, which allows us to find flights in real time and compare them with each other.
- We collects prices at the 200 largest hotel reservation agencies and official websites of hotels. Get all prices in just one place.
- We use TrustYou™, the smart semantic analysis system, to gather reviews from many booking services (including Booking.com, Agoda, Hotel.com and others), and calculate ratings based on all the reviews available online.